Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen when opening photo iPhoto / iLife '11

I've seen a few other posts for this but still haven't found an answer that works for me. I had been working on my computer (had iPhoto open) and it crashed. I had to hold the power button down to shut it off and reboot. Upon reboot, I have this problem with iPhoto. The thumbs show up just fine but when I double-click an image to view just one image at a time, I get a black screen. I can see the navigation to go next / previous, I see attempted face recognition, I see the thumbs below and all the Info window stuff is there too.

Things I've tried:
- File > Reveal in Finder > Original File - it shows up just fine. I can even double-click and view the image in Preview
- Tried to Command-Opt open and do all three of the bottom options
- I tried deleting the plist iPhoto files for user
- I even downloaded iPhoto Library Manager software and tried rebuilding the library
- I tried removing iPhoto (delete app, receipts, plists) and reinstalling (iLife '11), then installing updates
- When I open iPhoto I don't see any particular messages in Console > Console Messages

I recently found an entry that reads:
2/18/11 1:59:02 PM iPhoto[3482] __CFServiceControllerBeginPBSLoadForLocalizations timed out while talking to pbs

Any help would be greatly appreciated, don't know what happened or what to do to fix from this point.

Macbook Pro 17" Intel I7 (2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 2:39 PM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2011 3:17 PM in response to mbcfdude

Wow, after googling like crazy and trying a bunch of different suggestions (all of which seemed really helpful) I found my answer on this post:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12458536

As it turns out, I too have a second monitor hooked up to my mac via a USB Graphics adapter (Diamond BVU 195) and if I open iPhoto up on that monitor by default I can't view single photos. If I move the iPhoto window to my Mini-DVI controlled monitor and try again it works just fine.

Wow, this just seems uber dumb to me.

Black screen when opening photo iPhoto / iLife '11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.