Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

17 Inch G4 iMac displaying low quality grainy graphics on web pages

I'm having a very sudden problem with my iMac. Images on web pages are displaying very grainy and low quality. This is not an issue with images on my iPhoto or new images I upload from my digital camera. I have tried loading web pages on Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome and any web page I pull up is displaying fuzzy, grainy, low quality images. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Imac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 4:10 PM

10 replies

Feb 20, 2011 9:19 AM in response to ironiron

I'm sorry no one has jumped on this in two days. I think you have us stumped. I've tried changing some video settings on several of our G4 Macs but that either affects all image apps or doesn't simulate the problem.

Can you post an image? If you host the image or upload it to a image storing/sharing site, you can insert it in a post by using the instructions in this user-contributed yip:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=121950&tstart=0

Help me here--You say this problem persists in *Google Chrome*. My understanding is that Chrome has always required an Intel processor and OS 10.5 or later. 10.4.11 and a G4 iMac don't cut it. Is this a typo or is this problem associated with a Mac other than the G4 in your equipment line?

Feb 20, 2011 9:38 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks for replying Allan. The Google Chrome was a typo, I meant my older version of Internet explorer. I have 3 web browsers installed (Firefox, Safari, and I.E.). The problem is persisting in all of them. Again, then I load photos from my digital camera, they display crystal clear in iPhoto and the preview application. I can also upload photos to Facebook and they are clear and high resolution when I view them on other computers. My issue is persisting when I try to view pages on a web browser, I get grainy, fuzzy, low resolution images. Could it be a problem with my ISP?

Feb 20, 2011 5:40 PM in response to ironiron

Could it be a problem with my ISP?

It could, yes. I believe that I have heard of such things, though mostly with smart phone data plans. Basically, the ISP reduces the quality of images that are downloaded. I've never heard of this happening on something other than a phone, but it wouldn't surprise me to find it on other ISPs.

What is your ISP? Have you tried contacting them?

Apr 24, 2011 7:28 AM in response to ironiron

I am having the same problem, plus flash banners won't load!

I just managed to solve the poor quality graphics by tinkering with Network settings and adding OpenDNS IPs (unsure which one of the 2 did the trick) but the flash banners not loading problem persists.

I am on a mobile (cell network) access platform for 2 days on my MacBook.

Andreas

Apr 24, 2011 9:00 AM in response to agathedablues

If your ISP is downsampling images, as mentioned, then you don't change the settings. It's done by the ISP before the data ever reaches your computer. You should probably talk to them, especially if your MBP works fine on other networks. (Try it at your public library, if they have wireless, or at one of the many other public places with free wireless.)

17 Inch G4 iMac displaying low quality grainy graphics on web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.