Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup and Delete

I have backed up and vaulted my library on an external hard drive. Just to be sure, if I deleted projects and folders in aperture, they would still be in the backed up vault correct? Also, when I attempt to delete projects, a warning says pictures from the folder or project are in other places (facebook, Flickr, etc.). Is there a way to delete the pictures from aperture, but still have them on these external places? I just feel like all of my pictures are taking up a butt load of space on my macbook.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 10:12 PM

8 replies

Feb 19, 2011 5:43 AM in response to Mr. D90

Mr F90, welcome to the user-supported Aperture forum.

Just to be sure, if I deleted projects and folders in aperture, they would still be in the backed up vault correct?

No. Your vault will be representative of what is in your library. If you remove something from your library, it will be remove from your vault the next time it is updated. You are looking for an archiving function, and vaults are not an archiving function. Besides, if it did work that way, you'd still have your photos only in 1 place -- your vaults, and then you would have no backup of them.

nathan

Feb 19, 2011 11:25 AM in response to Mr. D90

You should look into referenced photos. You can have your pictures stored outside the library (which I assume is on your MacBook as you are worried about the hard drive space) like on an external drive, and still have previews, thumbnails, metadata in your library. The bulk of your library, I assume, is currently your photos, rather than all of the other stuff. Moving the masters out of the library as referenced will greatly reduce the size of your library.

You are then responsible for all backups of those photos stored outside your library, just like with anything you store off your computer.

Searching this forum for "Referenced" and "managed" will give you a lot of info, as well as looking through the manual for the same.

nathan

Feb 20, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Mr. D90

me too User uploaded file
(see my question ⚠ that no one could give me a sensible answer to either /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/m igration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png)
it seems this has answered my question, and yes I have LOST ALL MY PHOTOs, only to just realise from this thread that Vault is NOT a back up /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/m igration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png

thank you to you all in this thread 😉

Feb 23, 2011 7:04 AM in response to Mr. D90

Mr D90,

*Referenced masters* do not exist in your library, by definition. Therefore they will not be in your vault, as the vault backs up only what is in your library.

So, yes, you will need some alternate workflow for backing up your referenced masters. That workflow will completely depend on where you store them, though. I.e., if you put them all on a dedicated external hard drive, then maybe you will choose to use SuperDuper periodically to make a brute-force copy of that hard drive to another. There are other options, of course, and that may not be your scenario, either.

However, relocating the photos to be referenced masters on another drive will make your library significantly smaller, which is why you were asking in the first place, I believe.

nathan

Backup and Delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.