3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 1:54 PM by Ayabara
Ayabara Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
When I started out with iPhoto I told it to leave my photos where they were on disk, since I also used Picasa to view them. Now I've decided that I want to let iPhoto keep them in its library, but I've done a great deal of facetagging that I don't want to lose. Is there a way to move the photos into iPhotos library?

Additional question: is there a way to save the face-information as iptc/xmp-keywords?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (129,440 points)
    When you run a Referenced Library ("with iPhoto I told it to leave my photos where they were on disk") the app makes an alias to the location of the actual files.

Heretofore we used recommend AliasHerder as an application that will replace these aliases with the actual files, and so preserve your Library and all your work in it.

However I have no idea if it will also work with 11 - though it should. It's certainly worth a try.

As always: back up first.

Additional question: is there a way to save the face-information as iptc/xmp-keywords?

Well you can use Faces to group your photos and add keywords to them based on that. Is that what you mean ?

regards

TD
  • Ayabara Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    AliasHerder will do the trick. Thanks! After I've tagged all my images I'll back up the collection and give it a try.

Well you can use Faces to group your photos and add keywords to them based on that. Is that what
    you mean ?

Yes. And I really should have figured out myself that it's that simple Though it would be nice if iPhoto could automatically write a keyword when I tag a face.
  • Ayabara Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Seems I was a bit quick. Originals is no longer present in iPhoto 11. There is a folder called Masters, but that one is almost empty. I believe the beast I have to work with is Library.apdb, and I have no idea how to proceed. If I don't find a solution I guess I'll live with a referenced Library, or upgrade to Aperture, as I see from other posts here that I can solve my problem at the import there.