Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speech dictation ... why hasn't Apple implemented it?

There are apps that do speech dictation very well ... why hasn't Apple implemented it into their "text" based apps such as "SMS" or "Mail"? Would be as easy as a button on the keyboard that pops up ... hit that button ... the phone listens to your speech and spells it out in your text or email. Would save some lives I'm sure ... texting while driving with the iPhone is lethal !User uploaded file

8-Core 3.0 GHz Intel Xeon MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 1:28 AM

7 replies

Aug 8, 2011 12:01 AM in response to Julian Wright

True. But show me one. The only ones I found are for emails, NOT SMS texting. There is even one called 'text while driving', but all it does is read out your emails to you.

And why SHOULDN'T Apple implement this? For the hard earned big bucks we spend on their products, AND the fact that texting and driving is illegal in many states, this is a feature that would serve all iPhone users VERY well!

And yes, people did cope, especially without all the electronic goodies, ie: Mac desktop, Mac laptop, AirPlay unit to connect all these wonderful devices, Apple TV, iPhone and iPad. Where's your iPod touch? Don't belittle someone who is just looking for a safety feature, like probably MANY others out there, including myself, just because you don't use YOUR phone while you drive, kudos to you!

Aug 8, 2011 12:09 AM in response to Christopher Sims

I absolutely agree with you Christopher!!!! That was totally uncalled for. Especially from someone who owns at least SIX Apple devices (oooooh, one of them a CELL PHONE) from the looks of it. Not nice at all.

I am sure we aren't the ONLY two people out there who would like to see this feature on an iPhone. I will post here if I ever find the appropriate app. Of course it would be nice if that feature were going to be included in the iOS5 release, somewhere amongst the over 250 new features they are putting in it!!!

Oh yeah: And I am in the over 40 club, so I remember the 'old days'. Times they are a changin'!!!!!

Speech dictation ... why hasn't Apple implemented it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.