Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my desktop icons rearrange themselves every time I reboot?

I've had this machine for three years now. In the past, whenever I shut down or rebooted, at startup my desktop icons loaded where they were when I shutdown or rebooted. Now???? all of a sudden every time I shutdown or reboot, the icons are located (randomly as far as I can tell) in neat columns on the righthand side of the screen. We have two iMacs here and every check box we can find are checked the same on each machine. The icons on the second iMac to not rearrange upon shutdown or reboot.

How do I save, desktop icon position?

iMac iMac7,1, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 6:13 AM

13 replies

Feb 20, 2011 7:56 AM in response to captfred

Thanks for your quick response, but the setting you refer to is set to none. When I first went to discussion groups this morning I followed a tip I found there. It was the same as you recommend. When I got to that screen it was already set to none and so then I couldn't figure out anything else to try. One cool thing....I see you registered on my 69th birthday!

Feb 20, 2011 11:02 AM in response to keygooo

Thanks for your response. What I really don't understand, is how, after three years of use with no icon location issue, can it all of a sudden start doing this weird thing? Until today, I did not even know there was a way to change how desktop icons are displayed, so it is not something I have ever monkeyed with. One other comment. When I right click on a blank area the desktop and arrow over Arrange By...."none" is not an option and none of the options have a check mark by them. I have to click on Show View Options to get to a drop down box that has "none" as an option.

Mar 5, 2011 1:51 PM in response to keygooo

Just a stab:

Open your Preferences folder in your user account.
View as list.
Choose Date Modified as the sort column.
Change the view option for your desktop.
See if a preference (.plist) moves to the top.
If so move it to your desktop.
Change view to none again.

Also try the Preferences on the HD/System/Library
Check the permissions on the Preference.
Make all read/write

Hope this works.

Thanks ... Ken

Mar 5, 2011 2:17 PM in response to keygooo

Jumping in, but it might be a hosed, hidden .DS_Store file in your Desktop folder. Launch the Terminal app, copy & paste this command into the window that pops up, quit the Terminal app, restart, rearrange your Desktop icons, log out, and back in. That should do the trick.

*rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store*

Mar 13, 2011 9:07 AM in response to baltwo

Just to give you an update, I have spent the better part of last week on the phone with apple trying to get this resolved. We could not get the DS_store command to work, even with sudo. Hope you understand that, I don't get into terminal ever! We trashed preferences and created new accounts (which did solve the problem for a little while-one start up.) Anyway this issue has been elevated through apple and there is a team working on it. I will let you know what happens.

Apr 25, 2011 12:32 PM in response to keygooo

I also have had the exact same problem for the past year or so. My icons stay where I put them for a month or so and then suddenly they're rearranged all bunched up in lines on the right side of the screen. Extremely irritating, since I have them arranged spacially in groups.

My only clue is that it seems like this tends to happen after system updates – but I'm not completely sure that it is a 100% correlation.

I'd really appreciate a resolution to this decidedly "unmacintoshlike" way of working.

Why do my desktop icons rearrange themselves every time I reboot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.