Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - TOC , TOC is displayed through out the document

I have a 200 plus page document on Pages, with photos; a book. I've entered titles and subtitles and when I inert TOC, the new TOC appears but it splays all over the document pages, has repeated page numbers and is generally unusable.

MAC friends have mentioned that Pages has a problem with TOC. However, if I start the TOC sooner in the document, say on page 90, it works fine. So I'm looking for what's different between page 90 and page 221. Why does TOC not work as it should?

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Pages TOC

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 10:50 AM

5 replies

Feb 20, 2011 3:43 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter. Thank you, but... I did try insert TOC at the beginning of the document, placing the curser just before the first Title, on page one. The TOC arrives but it is mixed in with the existing document text for around 24 pages. Text -TOC -Text... Jumbled together.

I go no further because, I don't want my document stuck in this mixed up form. Also many paragraphs get numbered, even though they were not checked in the TOC box. I am using a two column format for the document, with some pages all text boxes, other pages all two column text.

So I undue, and try some other correction. This is with three items checked in the TOC; Title, Heading 1 and sub title. Each page of my document has one or two of these styles on it, in the body of the page, as you mentioned. I think I am following your instructions, they seem correct, but TOC is still dicey. Puzzled. HMC

Feb 20, 2011 4:04 PM in response to Heavy MC

The Problem is the floating textboxes and that you have not made a separate section for the TOC.

The TOC creates its own pages and is being pushed under the floating text boxes. You need to make sure that doesn't happen by having the TOC in its own separate Section at the beginning of the document.

I also warned you that the TOC will not index the floating textboxes. Do you really need them? You can use Layout breaks to vary columns and insert different formatting in the main text body.

If you must have some pages all textboxes, then make sure they are in their own Section.

I am surprised you have 200 pages and it appears no sections.

I can't tell what you have done with the rest, but TOC does work within its own rules.

Peter

Pages - TOC , TOC is displayed through out the document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.