Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook app

Does anyone know if there is an iPad Facebook app? I tried searching for it and it seems like they only made one for the iPhone. You would think they would create one for the iPad also. The other 3rd party Facebook developer apps don't seem to be working when I try signing in to Facebook from their app. Any word on a Facebook iPad app soon?

iOS 4

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 4:50 PM

18 replies

Feb 20, 2011 5:05 PM in response to cc015

Hi,

The Facebook app is optimized both iPad and iPhone. I've used it since the app was made available on both devices without any problems.

Don't bother with 3rd party. Facebook only.

If you already have the app installed, (it will be listed under the Apps tab in the menu), just connect your iPad and sync.

If you don't have it installed, download the app here.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facebook/id284882215?mt=8

Then sync your iPad.

Carolyn 🙂

Feb 20, 2011 5:06 PM in response to cc015

I have sync'd up the iPhone Facebook app on my iPad and it is working but I was wondering if there was a "native" iPad app. It seems like from the responses on here, there isn't one. I'll probably either have to use the iPhone app version on my iPad or link directly to the desktop Facebook version. I agree that as large of a company as Facebook, they would have already developed an iPad version of it's app.

Feb 20, 2011 9:22 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

The Facebook app is optimized both iPad and iPhone. I've used it since the app was made available on both devices without any problems.

It runs on both but it is not optimized for iPad. It still runs as a native iPhone app. It has the 2X button.
When apps are optimized for the iPad and iphone, there will be a plus + sign on the Free/Purchase button.

Feb 21, 2011 6:37 PM in response to cc015

Thanks for all the responses. I tried downloading the Facebook Friendly app but somehow the bug issue they said that is fixed in their next version isn't fixed. When I try logging in, it keeps on popping up a screen as if it is not connecting. After several failed attempts, I deleted the Friendly app until the next version comes out when they actually do fix the bug issue during logging in.

I would hope that Facebook does develope an app for the iPad. I mean, how hard is it to rewrite the code to be compatible with iPad in it's native size? And who cares if it's not a mobile device... it would definitly allow more users to access Facebook. Doesn't Facebook want more users using their app? I'm not asking for Facebook to completely overhaul their iPhone app to fit with the iPad but just to keep what they already have and make it work for the iPad.

Feb 21, 2011 7:05 PM in response to cc015

Why Facebook has chosen not to develop an app is a mystery - apparently they think the webpage suffices enough that it's not worth the resources to develop an iPad one, but many users would disagree.

I haven't noticed any such bug myself ... Have had no problems logging in and using the Friendly app. Are you sure you've entered your info correctly? It's very easy to mistype on the iPad, and usernames can be tough if the spellcheck tries to change it. 🙂

Feb 21, 2011 7:08 PM in response to cc015

Facebook (aka Mark Zuckerburg) has released a semi-official statement: "the iPad is not a mobile platform." :/ I think most of us here disagree with him rather strongly, but it's his company, and if he doesn't want to make a iPad app, that's his call.

about Friendly: I think it's one of the most busy, ugly, totally non-intuitive iPad apps I've ever seen. FEATURE-wise, yes it works. And well. That is, once you've finally figured out how to use it, and have somehow adjusted your eyes to the 'interface'. What I WOULD recommend is Facepad- it's very similar to the amazing Twitter for iPad. No, it doesn't have anywhere the features Friendly has (yet- they're planning on adding them, slowly, in the right way), but that's why we have iPads and Macs in the first place, isn't it? If we wanted 'features', we would have gotten a PC crammed to the hilt with ports and stickers and demo software. 🙂

Hope that helps,
Liam

(and no- I'm not affiliated with the developer at all)

Facebook app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.