Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari "Preferences..." in tab "Extensions" Problem

I downloaded a few extensions for Safari and they worked fine for a bit and then when I went into Safari's "Preferences..." and then its "Extensions" tab it shows up blank and I can't edit any of my extensions.

The only thing I tried was re-installing Safari but that would only cure the problem for a little a while and then go back to being blank. I also went into Library/Safari/Extensions and I double clicked on one of the .safariextz files to re-install it and an error, "Safari can’t install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension “Widgets”," came up and then it automatically removed the extension.

The extensions work fine but I'm unable to see or edit anything in the "Extensions" tab of "Preferences...".

Message was edited by: Holy Smoking Smokers

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 8:39 PM

9 replies

Feb 20, 2011 8:52 PM in response to Holy Smoking Smokers

Hi and welcome....

Quit Safari if it's open (Command + Q)

Open a Finder window. Select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left now open the Library folder then the Safari folder then the Extensions folder.

Move the Extensions.plist file to the Trash.

Relaunch Safari and see you can get to Safari / Preferences - Extensions.

double clicked on one of the .safariextz files to re-install it and an error, "Safari can’t install this extension

Not sure if it can be reinstalled from there but if moving the .plist file to the Desktop doesn't help, you can also try moving any of the Extensions to the Desktop.

If that didn't help, quit Safari. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari. See if you can access Safari / Preferences - Extensions.

Carolyn 🙂

Message was edited by: Carolyn Samit

Feb 20, 2011 10:20 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi and thanks for answering as quick as you did.

Your first suggestion didn't work. It would just make another Extensions.plist file.

Your second suggestion didn't work either. Nothing changed when I moved the files to the desktop.

The third helped a little bit. I moved the file to the desktop and when I re-opened Safari it re-installed all the extensions I have and its settings in the "Extensions" tab of "Preferences..." were viewable. Once I closed (Command+Q) Safari and re-opened it the settings in the "Extensions" tab of "Preferences..." was no longer viewable. And it just made another com.apple.Safari.plist file.

So I did the third suggestion and put all the proper settings in my extensions and left it like that because the extensions work fine. If I add another extension or need to change the settings for one of my extensions I'll need to do the third suggestion and pre-set all the settings again and then just have it blank(unsolved) until I need to add another extension or change a setting.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully we can find a better solution soon.

Feb 20, 2011 10:51 PM in response to Holy Smoking Smokers

I had it working for a little bit with the com.apple.Safari.plist in the Desktop even though it had already made another one in Library/Preferences folder. I then deleted the file in the Desktop to see if it would work without it and it didn't. So I went back and took out the com.apple.Safari.plist and put it in the Desktop and put in all my settings in, once I had opened Safari, and then I "Quit" and re-opened Safari to see if I can see my settings for extensions in the "Extensions" tab of "Preferences..." but it was blank.

Feb 21, 2011 12:09 AM in response to Holy Smoking Smokers

Sorry, I missed that in the first post.

Try resetting Safari. From your menu bar click Safari / Reset Safari. Select the top 7 buttons, click Reset.

I went back and took out the com.apple.Safari.plist and put it in the Desktop and put in all my settings in, once I had opened Safari, and then I "Quit" and re-opened Safari to see if I can see my settings for extensions in the "Extensions" tab of "Preferences..." but it was blank.

Delete the .plist file again but don't change anything in Safari / Preferences. That way your .plist file is default without any modifications.

🙂

Feb 23, 2011 4:55 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I think I figured out what the problem was. It is the homepage I have, http://espn.go.com, that is the problem. I changed it and everything is fine. I always seem to have problems with espn.com. I can't save bookmarks for RSS Feeds for only that site. Can't save it in Safari or Google.

Again, thanks for the help.

Mr. Holy Smoking Smokers

Jul 9, 2013 4:50 AM in response to Holy Smoking Smokers

I had the same problem.
I solved it by quitting Safari, then going into (username)/Library/Safari/Extensions and deleting my extensions and the .plist (or moving them out of the Extensions folder), starting Safari up again, moving extensions back and re-installing them (doubliclicking them then accepting Safari's installation dialog).

After this it all worked again. I only had two extensions, AdBlock and ClickToFlash. Might be interesting to see whether it is one of those extensions that has been causing this problem! I deleted both at the same time, but if the problem comes back then I will try deleting one at a time.

Safari "Preferences..." in tab "Extensions" Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.