Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with watching YouTube

Hello

I'm using the latest version of Safari (5.0.3), since yesterday when I try to watch a video on YouTube, the video doesn't start automatically, and when I hover the pointer over the video the menu doesn't appear.

YouTube works normally on FireFox and Chrome, and flash content works normally on Safari, just YouTube.

Any ideas?

(Note: I thought of deleting it and downloading it again but maybe there's a solution so I can save the the extra work of writing my bookmarks down).

White MacBook, iPhone 4, 64GB WiFi iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 6:08 AM

9 replies

Feb 21, 2011 7:17 AM in response to Hotsouma

Hi,

and flash content works normally on Safari, just YouTube.

Try deleting Flash cookies, instructions here.

http://machacks.tv/2009/01/27/flushapp-flash-cookie-removal-tool-for-os-x/

I thought of deleting it and downloading it again but maybe there's a solution so I can save the the extra work of writing my bookmarks down).

You can save your Bookmarks to your Desktop or an external source. From the Safari menu bar click File / Export Bookmarks. If you decide to reinstall Safari. just go back to the File menu then click Import Bookmarks.

Carolyn 🙂

Feb 21, 2011 7:19 AM in response to Hotsouma

Hi 🙂

It appears to be a youtube site problem where they detect the browser/model & then fail to present the actual Flash code on the page... altering Safari' user agent via the Develop menu is one work-round, but it needs to be changed per tab/page. Another way is to run Safari in 32 bit mode - Quit Safari, select the app in Applications, press Command + I (File-Get Info) then check the box.

Feb 22, 2011 12:43 PM in response to TildeBee

... I have no problems with YouTube...I'm running in 64-bit.

No doubt - me too & plenty of others, I'm sure. It seems to be youtube reading useragent/cpu/graphics/model & presumably not writing the flash object/embed to the page (guessing a bit, since no-one's confirmed (that I've seen) what the black area is via inspect element or right-clicking it.)

Problem with watching YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.