Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"connection lost" VERY frequently with mighty mouse

Not a battery issue. But it seems like perhaps the power is flicking on and off w/in the mouse. For example, turning the mouse off and one only SOMETIMES turns the little green light on.

But if I take out the batteries and put 'em back in it works..for 2-5 minutes.

Any ideas?

I need a hero! : )

Brad

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 9:02 AM

9 replies

May 26, 2011 11:01 PM in response to Bubalooney

I had the same problem with my mouse, but got it fixed!

The REAL CULPRIT IS BATTERIES! The solution is get the right batteries! This mean even if you replace new batteries you may face the same problem, if the new batteries doesn't suit, it may work for short while then the problem will come back again...this happened to my mouse. At first, I was totally disregard the fact that batteries create the problem because it works fine when i replace a new one, it only went off days or weeks later.

Now I am using the yellow batteries from ikea, no issue since using them.

Why? This is because the yellow wrap on ikea's battery is thinner hence you get longer tip (nipple) protruding out on the battery hence it's able to reach the contact surface inside the mouse, as you may notice the contact surface of the mouse is deep inside a hole...if you don't have ikea's batteries, other batteries with thinner wrapper or longer nipples will do 😉, worst scenario, you can add few layers of aluminium foil on the nipples to extend the reach 😉!

Good Luck!

Aug 30, 2011 1:16 PM in response to th3ming

I've had the same problem as the original reporter (with a new Magic Mouse) since I first put my own (second) set of batteries into the mouse - the first pair that came in the box gave me no trouble until they reached end of life.

This second set I'm using now are Duracell Plus AA cells. Battery levels are claimed to be ok, and putting in a brand new third and fourth set makes no difference. (Just had 'Connection Lost' for the umpteenth time this evening! To get things going again, click rapidly until the mouse reconnects; give it a chance, as it doesn't happen immediately.) I've had my Apple Wireless keyboard and the Mighty Mouse set as Bluetooth 'Favourites' as recommended by Barry Hemphill (see above in thread). Resetting PRAM, SMC, 'fixing permissions', throwing salt over my shoulder, getting a black cat to run in front of me etc all useless. No help from Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3048 "Troubleshooting Wireless Mouse and Keyboard Issues".

Interestingly, the green light under the mouse doesn't go out completely in the error situation, but does a double blink: on, on ... on, on ... on, on - this is 'discovery mode'. More frantic clicking until it works again for another fifteen minutes. It would be a good device if it worked properly.

Perhaps it is the batteries not fitting well, coming loose and causing the mouse to restart? No Ikea near me for the batteries suggested by th3ming - can any UK reader recommend some battery types which work all the time?

"connection lost" VERY frequently with mighty mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.