Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VHS to DVD to Imovie

I'll make this short. I have old VHS home movies that I burned to DVD. I now want to import them into IMovie, edit them, and burn them on an edited DVD. Can anyone offer advice on the best format to import the DVD into IMovie? I don't want to lose any more quality since it is already the quality of VHS. I then have to import it again once edited into IDVd which will again reduce the quality. Any ideas? MP4? MOv? DV?

Windows XP

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 1:44 PM

6 replies

Feb 21, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

Here is [my advice for importing from DVD.|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2255575] If you read the link, I recommend using Apple Intermediate Codec, rather than something highly compressed like MP4.

If you still have the VHS Tapes and a VHS Player, there are other options, as well, including the EyeTV Hybrid from ElGato and the Digital Analog Converters from Grass Valley.

Feb 21, 2011 3:24 PM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

I don't want to lose any more quality since it is already the quality of VHS.

I have done lots of this.

For the best quality use iMovie 06 or Final Cut Express.

I also use (and like) iMovie 11 when I want to quickly post something to the internet, but for making a DVD the best choices are iMovie 06 or Final Cut Express. Both of these programs work well with iDVD 11 and the latest Mac OS.

(I usually don't need all the sophisticated editing that Final Cut Express provides so I normally use the much easier iMovie 06.)

Can you make a DVD using iMovie 11? YES, (and the quality may be "acceptable" for most people). But for the best result, you should use Final Cut Express or iMovie 06. (with iDVD 08-11)

iMovie 06 and iDVD 09/11 is a 100% "lossless" combination and my DVD's look like they came from Hollywood!

Apr 13, 2011 6:32 PM in response to Ziatron

Hi Guys, this is all new to me. I have some old VHS tapes I want to put onto DVD's. I read Ziatron's post and I have iMovie HD 06 and iDVD 11 installed. I have a couple VHS players that I think work. What other hardware will I need and how do I go about making DVD copies of the VHS tapes? As I said this is all new to me so please keep it simple.

Thanks, Al

Apr 14, 2011 11:16 PM in response to Al74dart

I guess I should have said money is a big problem for me so need to keep it under $100. I would like something that will give me good quality, relatively simple, and not too much money.

I understand, the ADVC-55 is about $200, but you cannot repair the damaged tapes like the ADVC-300 can.

There are some USB converters out there, but I was never been happy with their quality. If you are willing to accept “decent footage” try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815299023&nmmc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-VideoDevices+++TV+Tuners-_-GrassValley--15299023

I've played around with countless other conversion systems, ranging in price from $79 to $399. Short verison, the ADVC-300 is ONLY unit to own. No dropped frames at all, even with questionable quality tapes, no jitter, great color, excellent sound quality. Zero setup with iMovie 06 and iDVD 09/11.

This is a prosumer deck. The time code function is alone worth the price if you have old analog footage. Absolutely NO "Out Of Sync" audio.

ADVC300 is for anyone who wants to do editing and is concerned about quality of color and speed, for the novice it is an incredible gizmo that will restore VHS tapes to a state close to the original fixing midtones, highlights and shadows on the fly. Not only can you simply convert analog to digital you can actually manipulate the signal going in (if you want to).

A bit pricey but it WORKS.

The program that comes with the ADVC300 has some nice filters that can improve video and audio of the source material.

VHS to DVD to Imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.