Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yellow tinted display on i4

been using a iPhone 4 for about a year now and it has a nice display - colorwise. I am working as a photographer and use calibrated displays.

now I finally bought my wife a i4 as a present via apple store website, and when I set it up to use the display was yellow tinted!

speaking in Kelvin I would estimate that my older iPhone's display has about 4500 K color temperature, and the new one about 6300. this is a lot difference...

however, this would not be that much a problem as some people like "warmer" colors anyway...

but THE BRIGHTNESS of this new iPhone 4 has to be ramped up much more to reach the same level of brightness than my older i4. so the new iPhone with the yellow tint display will drain the battery faster that is for sure.

I did a self-service pick up via apple service and the phone came back unrepaired!

called a friend working at a german apple store, and he told me that they get in yellow tinted iPhones a lot these days and that they are being replaced so far. however, at that time I did not ask if the replacements where also yellow tinted.

in my opinion this is a decrease in quality on a phone that costs so much money.

MacBookPro 17", iMac 27" Dual Screen (24" CinemaLED), Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2 TimeMachines, 4GS, iOS4.0, QNAP TS-439 Pro Turbo NAS, Lacie 2Big, AirPortExpr

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 3:36 PM

24 replies

Feb 21, 2011 3:42 PM in response to vertrider

there are a few discussions about this problem. I believe its the fixing the glass to the screen that causes the yellow tint. some people have been lucky and this has gone after a while but others still have the same problem. Unfortunately it seems that when replacing the handset it more of a lottery if you receive a similar handset with yellow tint or not. personaly i have been lucky and have not had any problem with mine colour wise.

Feb 21, 2011 3:55 PM in response to sn4p2k

well then it has been less than a year 🙂

however. the newer "yellow tinted" displays do not have the same brightness than the older ones - decreasing battery life earlier.

about the glue fixing the display: there have been phones with yellow spots on the first charges of i$ that would go away after some days, but these new displays have a different color temperature and brightness level which is at maximum not as bright as the earlier displays.

which is by far not as good as the older displays. so why buy a new phone and get a worse display?

Feb 21, 2011 3:54 PM in response to Garydp

here is a photo how it looks:

http://www.kalnai.at/yellowi4003.jpg

I have sent it to apple (self service UPS pickup) and it came back with a letter that it could not be reproduced what I claimed.

However I know from a source in Germany that they are exchanging a lot yellow tinted iPhones these days. because as you can see: it does not look good 😟

Feb 21, 2011 6:33 PM in response to Kwopau

Im not claiming it to be true, its just something that me and other people with 2011 replacements or phones made in 2011. We in MacRumors have counted over 25 replacements and even new that are yellow tinted. It suck s but theres nothing I can do but keep trying. Ill just wait a month. Yellow tint isnt that bad, i just like a brighter screen. At least I have the 4 tho. my Gf is still stuck with the 3G haha. even her phone is brighter though.

Message was edited by: iPhoneMac5

Feb 21, 2011 10:35 PM in response to iPhoneMac5

Umm... this could be a Canada issue, too...

I looked at his photo of the two different displays to compare my iP4. I never thought of mine as being "yellow tinted", but it's definitely in between the two displays he's got pictured. For me, it's not a big deal as it doesn't bother me, and my eyes actually prefer it not being "bright white". But I definitely think I have a yellow tinted display, too.

yellow tinted display on i4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.