Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore - does it preserve app folders?

I'm having some problems with my iPad and would like to do a restore, but I have a lot of apps organized into folders and I'm worried that this organization will be lost. If I do a restore, I know that the apps and their data will be restored, but a recent restore on an iPhone 3GS trashed most (but not all) of the folders. That is, the apps and their data were there after the restore, but a large number of apps that were in folders before the restore are now not in folders. The strange thing, to me, is that some of the folders were retained, but many weren't. Should a restore retain (or rebuild or restore) all of the folders? Both the iPad and iTunes (Win XP) are the latest versions.

Several, Windows XP

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 12:50 AM

ive restored iphone 4 and ipad and both failed to retain any semblance of user created folders.
its annoying but the folder creation set-up in itunes does make it a bit easier to restore order again.
9 replies

Feb 22, 2011 6:26 AM in response to KumbiaKid2

One would think that restoring from a backup would keep the folder structure on your iPad. However, I have read on several threads, that even simply syncing to iTunes has screwed up a lot of users folder structures on their devices.

From what I remember reading, it seems like the more folders you have, the "worse" the problem seems to be. I do remember reading one post where the user suggested keeping a couple of rarely used apps on the last screen to sort of "hold" the other folders on the remaining screens in place. The suggestion was also made to not totally fill up any one screen with folders. I can't say that I know that this will work - just stuff I've read.

Again ... not what you want to hear, but it may be useful to you nonetheless. I have never had problems with my folder structure but I admit that my iPad is not loaded with apps and folders and I have never had to restore. I know I read a couple of posts where users claimed they had 700 or more apps in folders. Wow!

Feb 22, 2011 4:33 PM in response to Demo

Thanks to you, too, Demo. I'd say Apple have missed the mark with this flaw in the Restore process. Imagine if you restored a computer from backup after a disk crash and all of your documents and programs were scattered all over the file system, no longer in the folders you had them in! Come on Apple, this is a BUG and is clearly NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Feb 22, 2011 7:05 PM in response to Demo

Thanks. I have submitted feedback on both the iPad and iTunes feedback pages. The iTunes feedback page doesn't have a specific "bug report" option like the iPad page does, but I think I have conveyed my 2 cents worth. I'd suggest that anyone else who's folder structure has been destroyed by the faulty restore also submit feedback on these pages. Maybe Apple will listen.

Jun 6, 2012 6:35 AM in response to KumbiaKid2

I am posting this quite a bit after the last post so I assume everyone has found a work around solution. If not, go to this other discussion thread. A solution to the problem is spelled out here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2504182?start=0&tstart=0

Still, I can't resist the opportunity to echo the comments of others...this is a glaring oversight by Apple. Many solutions Apple offers in the OWN support documentation suggest doing a Restore. OK, if they are offering this advice to so many people for so many problems you'd think they'd make it as simple a process as possible...which would include automatically rebuilding the app folder structure on the iDevice that is being restored. ARRGGGGHHHHHHH!

Sadly, in this case...It just DOESN'T work!!!!!!!

Mar 11, 2013 11:22 PM in response to KumbiaKid2

I'm baffled by the usefulness and point of resorting from a back up. It's either random or ****.

Firstly some apps restore back onto iPhone in the folders I had previously set up for them. But most apps just appear stretched out over 5 pages. So it means having to create new folders and trying to remember where the apps were kept pre-restore.

But the most annoying aspect is that some apps just didnt restore. I've realised at least 3 are missing. There's prob Amy more. Plus half my notes are missing.

When I did a phone back up I had about 300mb free memory from 16gb. When I restored the phone this increased to about 5gb free. I'm guessing its to do with apps not keeping their data. Eg music, amazon music player and some games.

Pretty rubbish feeling knowing next time I do a back up and restore some more stuff will go missing.

Fed up.

Dec 4, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Mr. Luigi

Yep, the solution posted by JPBOSS on that thread worked for me too. You need to do a second restore from backup. And I agree completely with your sentiments—this is a glaring bug which Apple has had years to fix, but evidently still hasn't. I can confirm it still exists, restoring from iTunes backup in iTunes 12 (Yosemite) to iPad Air 2 (iOS 8). I wonder how many poor frustrated souls have spent hours manually reorganising all their apps because Apple hasn't bothered to fix the way an iTunes restore works (presumably their attention is on iCloud now)!

Some additional info…

The first restore (for a new device) is like a full restore that wipes your device and then loads it up again with your app data and settings. In my experience, the first restore did NOT actually restore any apps to the device, even though they were all in iTunes. I had to then choose 'Sync' (or 'Apply') for it to do do this. That's when the weirdness really starts. In iTunes, it previewed the apps on my device in the same order they appear in the left side bar, but when they downloaded to the iPad, the order was different again. I couldn't work out the logic at all. In any case, neither arrangement resembled anything close to the way I had my apps organised before the iPad was backed up.

So as JPBOSS says, you need to do a second restore. In iTunes 12, go to the 'Summary' settings screen under your device name. IMPORTANT: Don't press the 'Restore iPad…' or 'Restore iPhone…' button in the top grey box. You don't want to wipe the apps that you just synced to your device. For the second restore, choose the 'Restore Backup…' button in the second grey box. Then choose the same backup you restored from the first time. After this, my apps were finally restored to their original order (aside from a whole bunch of new apps at the end, because 'Automatically install new apps' was ticked.)

One more thing… It's probably not a bad idea to archive your original backup as the very first step, so it's always there if things go wrong. I once had an iTunes backup fail, but when I tried to restore again, I discovered to my horror that iTunes had deleted the original backup and replaced it with a new, and completely useless one! You can archive a device backup in 'Preferences > Devices'. Right click on the backup and choose 'Archive'. Or you could always click 'Show in Finder' and then copy it to another folder manually.

Restore - does it preserve app folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.