Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older vs new dock connectors-not fully functional

When I plugged in a dock connector from an older iPod into my new iPad, a dialogue box said that all the functions would not work. Researching, I found that some of the 'pins' were switched in the new connectors, and they wouldn't charge the new iPad. Could you tell me if there is an adapter to attach to the old connector to allow the old connectors to work with the newer devices?

intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 500 gig HD, 4 gig RAM, superdrive

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 9:08 AM

14 replies

Feb 22, 2011 9:29 AM in response to MacDenney

Not that I know of. I can sync and charge my first gen ipod video with the cable that came with my iPad. I cannot use the firewire outlet charger on my iPad, but I can use it on that ipod. Part of this is also because the output is different depending on the charger block. Always use the correct charger block with the right device or you might kill your battery.

Feb 22, 2011 9:41 AM in response to MacDenney

MacDenney wrote:
Could you tell me if there is an adapter to attach to the old connector to allow the old connectors to work with the newer devices?

I know of no such device. Not trying to be a smart a**, but why would you want to do this anyway? You got the USB adapter and the wall socket power charger when you purchased the iPad ... just curious ... are you just trying to find a use for your old connectors?

Feb 22, 2011 10:44 AM in response to MacDenney

When I plugged in a dock connector from an older iPod into my new iPad, a dialogue box said that all the functions would not work.

That won't be because of the dock connector (on the iPod end).
It will be because of an old charger or cable which plugs into a FireWire port. You need to usea cable that plugs into a USB port.
I found that some of the 'pins' were switched in the new connectors,

The pins weren't switched. They are the same as they have always been.
Intially, iPods would only charge via the FireWire.
Later they would charge via FireWire or USB. Now they only charge via USB.
When you plug a FW charger into anything newer than about 5 years ago, they will charge ONLY via USB. If you plug them into a FW charger or use a FW to iPoad cable, you will see the message.
Could you tell me if there is an adapter to attach to the old connector to allow the old connectors to work with the newer devices?

Yes, but I would not recommend one for your iPad. Just use the *USB to dock connector* cable. Don't use a *FireWire to dock connector* cable.

Feb 25, 2011 11:11 AM in response to MacDenney

It's called "dockStubs" from the 'CableJive' website.

That converts the 12VDC from an older dock that uses FireWire to 5VDC and routes them to the USB pins.
It does the same as the Griffin adapter mentioned by *foxcub 6* above.
But you said you are using a USB cable.
Why not make use of the older USB dock connectors?

What are these "older USB dock connectors" attached to? Is it a cable with USB on one end and iPod dock connector on the other?

Older vs new dock connectors-not fully functional

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.