Skip navigation

Older vs new dock connectors-not fully functional

2718 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2011 11:11 AM by Chris CA RSS
MacDenney Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 22, 2011 9:08 AM
When I plugged in a dock connector from an older iPod into my new iPad, a dialogue box said that all the functions would not work. Researching, I found that some of the 'pins' were switched in the new connectors, and they wouldn't charge the new iPad. Could you tell me if there is an adapter to attach to the old connector to allow the old connectors to work with the newer devices?
intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 500 gig HD, 4 gig RAM, superdrive
  • a Mac user Level 3 Level 3 (715 points)
    Feb 22, 2011 9:29 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    Not that I know of. I can sync and charge my first gen ipod video with the cable that came with my iPad. I cannot use the firewire outlet charger on my iPad, but I can use it on that ipod. Part of this is also because the output is different depending on the charger block. Always use the correct charger block with the right device or you might kill your battery.
    16MHz Mac LCII, Mac Clones, 1.8Ghz iMac G5, MBP 2.53Ghz Late 2008, iPad 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Mac Developer
  • Rudegar Level 6 Level 6 (18,435 points)
    Feb 22, 2011 9:40 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    really old docks used firewire to charge
    a few years back apple removed the firewire support from iphones and ipods
    so if the 3th party dock used those pins only to charge and not the usb ones
    it will not work
    Shuttle, Windows 7
  • Demo Level 9 Level 9 (73,720 points)
    Feb 22, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    MacDenney wrote:
    Could you tell me if there is an adapter to attach to the old connector to allow the old connectors to work with the newer devices?

I know of no such device. Not trying to be a smart a**, but why would you want to do this anyway? You got the USB adapter and the wall socket power charger when you purchased the iPad ... just curious ... are you just trying to find a use for your old connectors?
    MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.5.8), Intel iMac (Tiger 10.4.11) MacBook White 13" (10.5.8) iPad 32g (iOS 4.2)
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,385 points)
    Feb 22, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    When I plugged in a dock connector from an older iPod into my new iPad, a dialogue box said that all the functions would not work.

That won't be because of the dock connector (on the iPod end).
    It will be because of an old charger or cable which plugs into a FireWire port. You need to usea cable that plugs into a USB port.
    I found that some of the 'pins' were switched in the new connectors,

The pins weren't switched. They are the same as they have always been.
    Intially, iPods would only charge via the FireWire.
    Later they would charge via FireWire or USB. Now they only charge via USB.
    When you plug a FW charger into anything newer than about 5 years ago, they will charge ONLY via USB. If you plug them into a FW charger or use a FW to iPoad cable, you will see the message.
    Could you tell me if there is an adapter to attach to the old connector to allow the old connectors to work with the newer devices?

Yes, but I would not recommend one for your iPad. Just use the *USB to dock connector* cable. Don't use a *FireWire to dock connector* cable.
    Mac mini (mid 2010) - 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6), silver mini, blue mini, green shuffle, iTunes 10.1.1, 32GB wifi iPad
    Feb 22, 2011 6:17 PM (in response to MacDenney)
    No. Your cable is broken.
    Mac mini (mid 2010) - 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6), silver mini, blue mini, green shuffle, iTunes 10.1.1, 32GB wifi iPad
  • foxcub 6 Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Feb 23, 2011 1:15 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    I think this is what you may be looking for http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Firewire-Charge-Converter-iPhone/dp/B001OI2VGI/r ef=sr115?ie=UTF8&qid=1298452268&sr=8-15 . I have one and got it in the Apple store ,
    dell 5150
    Feb 23, 2011 6:26 AM (in response to foxcub 6)
    Since he is using a USB cable, that will do no good.
    It routes the charging voltage from the FireWire pins to the USB pins.
    Feb 23, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    The adapter I'm looking for would just update the older USB dock connector cable

I have found nothing that says the cables or the dock connector on the iPad were changed in any way so there's nothing to update.
    My old cable from 2005 works fine (charging and syncing) with my iPad.
    Feb 25, 2011 11:11 AM (in response to MacDenney)
    It's called "dockStubs" from the 'CableJive' website.

That converts the 12VDC from an older dock that uses FireWire to 5VDC and routes them to the USB pins.
    It does the same as the Griffin adapter mentioned by *foxcub 6* above.
    But you said you are using a USB cable.
    Why not make use of the older USB dock connectors?

What are these "older USB dock connectors" attached to? Is it a cable with USB on one end and iPod dock connector on the other?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.