Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging excel/numbers files + renaming them + restructuring them

Hello

Im struggling a bit with my PhD data, and I cant find the solution (except doing it manually):

I've got 350 excel files, each one in an individual folder (each folder contains pictures that I measured, and a 'Results.xlsx' file with the measurements).

The structure of the excel file is always the same, like in the picture attached, except that the number of rows can vary (but it's always a multiple of 3! you'll see it's important...).

What I would like =

Have one single excel file (no big surprise), with all the files merged, following each other, with at the beginning of each 'file' the name of the folder the excel file was in. Then the final outcome i want is: keeping only the last column ('length'), and changing it. My data are basically each time 3 measurements of 3 individuals (a trial) within a population. I want the 3 individuals (male 1, male 2, female) of each trial on the same line, but they dont follow each other:

-> if there are 15 raws, the first 5 are the males 1, the next 5 are the males 2, and the last 5 are the females (if 12 raws: 4 males 1 then 4 males 2 then 4 females).

So my question is: is it possible?!

Im working on Mac (using Excel with Parallel), but I also have a PC. I was thinking about using Automator on Mac but I have no idea if it can do that (and I guess it doesnt).

Could you help me please? At least by saying if it's doable or not? Im not even sure it's the appropriate place to ask this, I should probably separate my problems...

Thanks a lot,

Al

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 10:38 AM

4 replies

Feb 22, 2011 11:26 AM in response to bohk

Hi,

I don't see what this has to do with Numbers (the Apple application) since you only mention Excel, and apparently the PC version (since you say it is in Parallels). You'd really be better off asking this in a Microsoft Excel forum.

If you want to use Automator then are you running Tiger (the forum in which you posted this question) or Snow Leopard (the operating system listed in your profile)? We can request this be moved to the SL Automator forum if you like.

Feb 22, 2011 11:29 AM in response to bohk

Hi Al, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

I don't have Office or Excel, but using NeoOffice for free, I think I was able to manually copy & paste .xls files together the way I think you want them, but not sure how many files you have, their size, & indeed no idea what most of what you said eans!

I was thinking about using Automator on Mac but I have no idea if it can do that (and I guess it doesnt).

While most things are possible, I doubt Automator works with Windows®.

Im not even sure it's the appropriate place to ask this,

Actually this is the old 10.4/Tiger forums... I could ask it be moved, but not sure where... maybe 10.6 Automator?

Merging excel/numbers files + renaming them + restructuring them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.