Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting rid of image noise - is there a "smart blur" filter?

I have some old VHS video footage that I would like to convert to dvd. The footage has quite a lot of image noise. Is there a filter that smoothes/blurs low-detail areas while retaining sharp edges? (sort of like "smart blur" in Photoshop?)

Thanks for suggestions

Martin

PowerMac G5 2x2 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 20, 2005 3:13 AM

9 replies

Dec 20, 2005 3:22 AM in response to Martin E. G. Anhalt

Mmm... not really... The problem lies within the source - VHS, and there's very little you can do to make VHS look any better than VHS...

You can try tweeking the contrast, or use colour correction, or even use a 1 - 2 point gaussian blur, these could diffuse the noise and make it less obvious.

the only other alternative is to go to a top-end post production house and see if they can clean it for you... but now we're talking money.

not much help i'm affraid

Dec 20, 2005 7:32 AM in response to Martin E. G. Anhalt

I've found that on 99% of VHS tapes I attempt to restore, one of the best things to do is use the desaturate filter. VHS seems to always come in oversaturated, creating noise in the colors. I pull some of the color out, and it makes the noise a lot more tolerable, more like watching a VHS tape and not crappy off air reception.

Dec 20, 2005 8:35 AM in response to thrillcat editorial

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

I tried stylize/anti-alias (mimimal value), which actually improved the picture, but I lost edge sharpness.

Might have thought of desaturating myself, since the original footage is black and white anyway... :-)=)
I'll try it. There are some color artifacts, but the noise is also in the luminance.

PowerMac G5 2x2 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

getting rid of image noise - is there a "smart blur" filter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.