Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Aperture support Fujifilm's Finepix E900 RAW files?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the Finepix E900, which outputs in RAW format. However, I can't find any reference to either this model in particular or general Aperture RAW support for Fujifilm cameras in general on any site. Anyone in the know?

Cheers,

Reb

12" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 20, 2005 4:13 AM

9 replies

Dec 20, 2005 8:18 AM in response to Rebane

I vaguely remember reading that Apple will focus on pro level cameras, or at least dSLRs for raw conversion, not the Point and Shoots. Sorry.

Of course as raw becomes more popular with P&S cameras, Apple may pay attention.

Finally, Apple may fix its implementation of DNG to support any camera. If it does that, then all you need to do is to convert your files to DNG. We will have to see if Apple is serious about DNG; right now they are not.

-Allan

Dec 20, 2005 1:21 PM in response to Rebane

Thanks for that.

I guess what I was really after was to figure out if there is "universal" RAW support (if such a thing exists) in Aperture.

I have a Nikon D50 and that is listed as supported. Nominally the Fuji has the same RAW image format. Maybe thre are other "snaps" cameras that are known to work with RAW in Aperture?

Cheers,

Reb

Dec 20, 2005 1:33 PM in response to Rebane

Reb,

RAW is not a standard format. It's not really a format at all. RAW just means "it's in the manufacturer's unprocessed format, with info about the pixel data." As such, every manufacturer's RAW format is currently different. So a software provider can't say "We support RAW," but rather "We support RAW formats from cameras X, Y, and Z." And it has to be specific cameras, too -- Canon's RAW format for their D60 camera is different to that in their 1D mark II camera, etc.

So to say that "Nominally the Fuji has the same RAW image format" as your D50 is not correct at all -- it's like saying English and Swahili are both languages, and because people speak languages, they should be able to communicate. Not so easy 😟

For now, my best advice is, if you want to use Aperture, make sure you're using a camera that is explicitly listed on Apple's pages as having RAW support. You can always send feedback to Apple via their Aperture pages.

Dec 20, 2005 1:36 PM in response to Rebane

Every camera from ONE manufacturer has a different RAW format, let alone two cameras from two different companies. Sorry, but RAW files are more complex than that. 😟

If Aperture adds support for linear conversions in DNG files then there will be "universal" RAW support (or at least as fast as Adobe add support to the DNG convertor), but until then it's no-go.

Ian

Dec 20, 2005 1:39 PM in response to Rebane

http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/

A bunch of the Canon Powershot cameras are supported as well as some the the point-n-shoot Olys, Sonys, and some of the later Nikon Coolpix.

HOWEVER, beware that OS X delivers mediocre RAW conversions.

Slightly off topic, why would anyone shoot raw with a non DSLR? Most of the point-n-shoot cams are restricted to a min shutter speed of 1/2000 and aperture of only f8, and have a much smaller and less responsive CCD/CMOS imager. Not only that, why would they spend $500 to manage images from a $500 camera?

Please note I am not asking how people spend their money, just my point of view.

Dec 20, 2005 2:08 PM in response to Rebane

Reb,

Hey man keep coming back! Things can get a bit edgy around here, nothing personal..

We are all amateurs to some degree 🙂 All of us pros and well healed amateurs are always learning something new... I bought my first digital camera in 1997, 10 cameras later I am still learning new things.

I shoot RAW because I need the control I get in the digital darkroom for pushing and pulling to recover highlights and shadows, just like the old days of having your own B/W lab in your basement bathroom, 'cept now the kids can use the bathroom while I "develop" my digital negatives and prints 🙂

I have reaaaalllly tried to get Aperture to work, even dropping $400 on a top of the line video card(Radeon X 800XT)... perhaps it is my Apple zeal that wants it to work...like the rest of my Apple hardware and software.

Dec 20, 2005 3:37 PM in response to Rebane

You can view the supported raw camera files buy navigatiing to this file in the finder:

System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/
Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Raw.plist

If you camera is not listed it does not have full support.

G-5 Quad 8gb RAM, 10K Raptor Boot Drive Mac OS X (10.4.3) 30" Cinema HD Display, Nvidea 7800GT,

Dec 20, 2005 4:44 PM in response to Rebane

there is no standard "RAW" format. RAW is not a format, it's a name for each cameras ability to store the raw capture of light by the sensor. "Raw" should not be in all caps.

Each camera has a different raw format (some cameras from the same manufacturer might have the same one, but usually they are different). This means that Apple (and adobe and others) has to reverse engineer each format and then write a converter for it. Not easy, especially since the camera makers don't publish the formats.

Will Aperture support Fujifilm's Finepix E900 RAW files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.