Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge fields missing from link inspector list when numbers doc selected

When trying to merge a numbers document with pages report where there are multiple fields to merge, why would some of the fields be missing when all are in the same Header Row? I was trying to add a new field I didn't use last year and change the order of the cell layout in the table in pages to incorporate this new field. I also wanted 2 versions of the report for different lists.

I have tried closing both documents, reselecting to link them afresh to ensure the correct version of the numbers doc is being picked up but still 2 column headers are not showing up as merge fields. The Help file is rather brief and I have followed it without success.

MacBookPro 5,2, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 5:15 AM

12 replies

Feb 25, 2011 4:34 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

I have realised what I have done here - I am still getting used to how to set up mail merge document in Pages.
However, if I can send you my numbers file and my pages file perhaps you could see if you can sort out how to get them merging successfully. I am even in the Apple Store and having trouble finding someone who can sort out what is the problem.
Caroline

Feb 25, 2011 8:37 AM in response to Buzz40

In your original file,

the fields names weren't in an header row but in a standard one.

The fields names in the document were enclosed between chevrons : "«…»

The source table must be the first one in the first sheet. this condition wasn't filled in your file.

All that was clearly described in the three set of files which I sent to your mailbox.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 25 février 2011 17:37:45

Feb 26, 2011 3:56 AM in response to Buzz40

It's not a problem with merge.

It's a problem with the document which you sent to me.

In cell AI3 of your original doc, a formula extracts the comments from the table "Comments"

But in other cells of the column, there is no formula but plain strings.

I guess that a some time, you applied a paste value.

I'm OK to edit the doc so that merge does it's duty, *_not to repair every oddities which you did !_*

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 26 février 2011 12:56:17

Nov 26, 2013 1:10 PM in response to Buzz40

I'm trying to merge a mailing list from Numbers to Pages. The Numbers document has several columns in it so I have the "First Name" & "Last Name" columns as header columns frozen so I can scroll to the right and still know who I'm talking about.

When I go to merge it to the Pages document I created, "First Name" & "Last Name" don't show up as Merge Field Options. Does that make sense?

Other than temporarily reverting the columns back to non-header columns, is there any way to fix that?

Nov 26, 2013 8:24 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Yes, Jerry I realize that. I also know how bad Mavericks iWorks *****. It makes me want to go back to MS Office. Hoping Apple will correct some of their mistakes in the update I've reverted back to iWorks '09 like many people. So yes, my question is in reference to iWork '09.

Any ideas or help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan

Merge fields missing from link inspector list when numbers doc selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.