Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sound output device keeps changing itself constantly

Hi there,

Since my last software update i've been experiencing some sound problems.
The sound keeps going on and off constantly and in my preferences panel the sound output device keeps switching from internal speakers to digital out and headphones by itself.
I've tried to get a solution on the internet but I can't find any solutions.
Very important: this is not the same problem that the microswitch of the digital out. In my computer the sound output doesn't stay in one device, so I believe that this is a software problem.
Can anyone help me with this . It is kind of annoying to have the sound going on and off all the time.
Thanks...

imac 21'' intel core 2 duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 10:21 AM

47 replies

Aug 28, 2017 10:06 PM in response to miguel valente

I'm so glad I read your reply. I have been SO frustrated. I have a mac mini (my third in a couple years because they keep malfunctioning and Apple ends up replacing them). I use it with a bluetooth speaker, and it's been great because I could declutter my desk and set the little Sony speaker on a nearby shelf. But when trying to Facetime or make a call on the computer, I get garbled Mickey Mouse sounds. Called support. Dreadful woman, nasty, insisted it was internet. NOT! Called back, got a nice guy, who said gee he had no idea why but had the same problem. No kidding! Skype audio was just fine, but not Facetime. So I tried using a headset plugged into the jack in the computer. That worked fine, but is annoying as the cord is rather short. Then I ordered an audio cable, plugged it into the computer AND into the speaker. Worked fine until the speaker decided to turn itself off. It had to be connected to Bluetooth on the computer, but I was able to select headset to have the sound come from the jack. Audio was find on Facetime. One day later, the sound started going nuts, and more annoying, a little speaker icon popped up on the bottom of the monitor, blocking stuff. Frustrated. Then I read your reply. Well I don't have a can of air, but can get one. Meanwhile I just cursed, unplugged the jack, and the sound icon disappeared. I set the speaker back to Bluetooth and do have sound. Now when I make a call, back to Mickey Mouse. But hey I can see the screen. In the middle of a writing job now but when it's done I'll take this Mac Mini into the store and complain. My impression is that Apple computers only work for about 7 or 8 months and then they start messing up. This last time I bought an extended warranty but frankly I wonder daily why I switched from PC. Of course they don't have Facetime, but apparently neither do I. Thanks for your help. I'll get the canned air and give it a try.

Mar 20, 2011 5:18 PM in response to miguel valente

Hi,

I had a similar problem a few years ago with my PowerBook G4, and I fixed it by connecting my external speakers and disconnecting them a few times, figuring that maybe some conductive dust got into the port and was periodically making contact, causing OS X to think that I had speakers connected when I really didn't. Perhaps this might work to solve your problem as well.

Ken

Apr 10, 2011 10:46 AM in response to CraigFortune

Similar problem here with my iMac. I have a external mixer connected to my iMac via USB. Every time I restart my OS X (10.6.7 here) sound input/output changes to my external USB device, and I have to change it back to internal speaker/mic. I can't never leave like that...changes by itself on each restart... I have repaired OS X disk permissions couple of times and deleted /Library/Preferences/Audio/*.plist, /Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist and /Users//Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist but still the same. Any idea? Thanks!

Apr 20, 2011 3:14 PM in response to miguel valente

My iMac does the same. I have never had anything connected to the external jack. It is nothing to do with the jack switch. It cuts in and out at random. The preferences switches from showing the only output as "Internal Speakers" to showing the only output as "Digital Out". When I try to change the volume it shows the volume popover with a 0 with a diagonal bar to indicate there are no volume controls.

Today there was no sound for about an hour when I got up, then it just started to play then after 10 mins it cut out again. Since then it has cut in and out several times. Tried PRAM reset and all that stuff. No help. Problem is getting worse. Now I can't do any chats (iChat, Skype, etc) from my imac which means I may have to move off of it for work all together.

Come on Apple, this is a real problem and I'm guessing it is a software issue.

sound output device keeps changing itself constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.