Skip navigation

Basic Applescript open command... help!

2136 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2011 6:59 PM by chris12321 RSS
chris12321 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 23, 2011 6:30 PM
Hi

I'm completely new to AppleScript (and need to use it for an assignment)

Im being asked to create a script that could be used on any mac that will ask the user to open a file, describe what the file is about, then have that selected file open automatically. As of right now I cant seem to find any script that will allow the user to open the variable/selected file... heres what I have so far:

set variable to choose file with prompt "Please select a file to be opened"
set variable to display dialog "Please enter a short description of this file" default answer ""
tell application "Finder" to open..................

I dont know if Im doing this right, can anyone help?

Another problem Im having is getting the computer to speak to the user telling them that their file which they selected is now opened (once it is).... I understand the say command, but I dont know how string the information from when the user enters the description of the file into the command for the computer to say it. For example, "The file described as (description entered previously by user) is now opened".

Help please!
Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.