Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading the processor

Hello,

I have the 27inch imac i3. Is it possible to get the processor upgraded to the i5 or i7 if I take it to apple. Is it as easy as just changing the processor or does the chipset/motherboard need upgrading as well?

Unknown, Other OS, Running Vista Ultimate

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 1:48 AM

18 replies

Feb 24, 2011 4:15 AM in response to Silentbob1978

There are a lot of services Apple will do for you if you are willing to pay...replacing the logic board would not be an inexpensive proposition. It might be more cost-effective to buy a whole new iMac. You could try contacting Apple Customer Support, or an Apple Retail store genius bar if one is close to you and ask them what it would cost to replace the logic board with the faster board.

Feb 24, 2011 9:16 AM in response to Silentbob1978

In reality, the processors in any current iMac cannot be upgraded - the only options you have is if Apple offers such an custom built option at time of purchase. And, even if they were, you do not really want to think about replacing a logic board - that replacement alone would be +/- $1,000. An iMac is an all-in-one machine - what you buy is what you get; there is only one easily upgradeable part: the RAM. Any other upgrade (hard drive replacement) done by anyone other than an AASP will void your warranty completely; if it is done by an AASP, Apple will no longer cover the part that was replaced.

Edit: I just found what I was looking for: this is iFixit stripping down an iMac. Note: the processor is separate from the logic board and has a sticker "warranty void if removed".

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-20-Inch-EMC-2266-Teardown/658/3

Message was edited by: Barbara Daniels1

Feb 27, 2011 7:03 PM in response to babowa

Replacing, upgrading the OEM hard drive does not void your Apple warranty completely. Warranties in the US are subject to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Apple would have to prove that the replaced drive or the installer caused damage to the computer that resulted in a malfunction. Most other countries have similar consumer protection.

Feb 27, 2011 7:39 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Since the OP's question is about upgrading the processor ( not hard drives), your post is not really helpful.

I am aware that one can have a hard drive replaced/upgraded and if it is done by an AASP, the warranty is not voided. If you choose to do it yourself and then wish to fight this in a court of law, that is your prerogative.

Feb 28, 2011 1:23 AM in response to babowa

In your post above mine you said, +"An iMac is an all-in-one machine - what you buy is what you get; there is only one easily upgradeable part: the RAM. Any other upgrade (hard drive replacement) done by anyone other than an AASP will void your warranty completely; if it is done by an AASP, Apple will no longer cover the part that was replaced."+ Just correcting your misinformation.

No court of law required, Apple is fully aware of their legal obligations and requirements. Unfortunately this isn't always communicated to their employees.

Apple Retail will not upgrade a logic board to a different processor. An AASP might might attempt such an upgrade but it would be very costly. There are service providers that are offering processor upgrades (just the processor(s), not the logic board) on Mac Pro's, where the performance boost might justify expense. In such cases, Apple would still warranty components such as hard drive, DVD drive, and other components not directly related to the processor.

Message was edited by: Jeff Donald — correct spelling error

Feb 28, 2011 8:36 AM in response to Jeff Donald

+Apple Retail will not upgrade a logic board to a different processor.+

Of course not; the processor and logic board are two different parts on an iMac.

+An AASP might might attempt such an upgrade but it would be very costly. There are service providers that are offering processor upgrades (just the processor(s), not the logic board) on Mac Pro's, where the performance boost might justify expense.+

Mac Pros and iMacs are just a tad different in design, upgradeability, etc.

+Just correcting your misinformation.+

I won't waste my time replying to that one; I stand by what I said. Having said that, I am done with this thread.

Feb 28, 2011 12:52 PM in response to babowa

Barbara Daniels1 wrote:

+Just correcting your misinformation.+

I won't waste my time replying to that one; I stand by what I said. Having said that, I am done with this thread.

Barbara, I not trying to be argumentative, just give the correct information to readers. I was an Apple Retail manager from 2006 through 2008 and I can speak to this issue with some knowledge. You will not void your warranty by replacing your own hard drive or having a non-AASP do the replacement. The warranty will not cover the replacement, but the rest of the computer is still covered. I confirmed this today with several contacts I have in Apple Retail. What you are arguing would be that you would void your new car warranty if you had it serviced someplace other than the dealer.

Feb 28, 2011 2:21 PM in response to Jeff Donald

+What you are arguing would be that you would void your new car warranty if you had it serviced someplace other than the dealer.+

Absolutely not - I am not an idiot. If you were to actually read what I said, you'd realize that I know (and stated) that an AASP can replace parts and the iMac will still be covered under warranty; however, a user cannot without voiding it (except the RAM of course).

May I suggest that you read through a recent user manual (following quoted from the mid 2010 iMac manual):

+Page 44:+
+WARNING: Do not attempt to open your iMac, except to install memory.....Your iMac doesn't have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.+

+And page 57:+
+Your iMac does not have any user-serviceable parts, except the keyboard, mouse, and memory.....+

Sorry, but the manual should contain correct information?

Disclaimer for the following: I am not a "techie", but able to comprehend most everything I read (if not, I ask and learn)...

Additionally, there are cables and seals on several parts which state "warranty void if removed" or something similar (am not able to find that particular article at the moment).

This topic is about upgrading a processor after purchase, which, from what I've gathered here over time, is not possible because of specs and other compatibility issues, i.e. a different processor will not work (never mind the warranty issue).

So, you've managed to add hard drives and Mac Pros into the equation which have nothing at all to do with the question at hand. That would certainly be of little help to the OP because your arguments did not address the issue: can a different processor be installed? Answer: installed, probably (if it fits physically) - will it work: no (that knowledge gathered from the forums regulars/pros). iMacs have always been considered a "you get and keep what you paid for - no upgrades available except RAM".

I prefer to only present facts (indisputable if at all possible), either from documents or knowledge gathered. I do not argue for arguments' sake; it is a waste of time.

Feb 28, 2011 6:36 PM in response to babowa

This is what you wrote:

+"Any other upgrade (hard drive replacement) done by anyone other than an AASP will void your warranty completely; if it is done by an AASP, Apple will no longer cover the part that was replaced."+

This statement contains misinformation. Anyone one, not just an AASP can upgrade a hard drive and it will not completely void your warranty as you state. As a former Apple Retail Manager I authorized hundreds of warranty repairs of items that contained "upgraded" components. What Apple will not cover is the upgrade part, any damage that the upgraded part might cause, and any damage the service technician or end user caused when they upgraded the part.

For example the user can replace the ram, however if the ram causes damage to the computer, and Apple can prove the ram damaged the computer, the damages are not covered by the warranty. This is similar to replacing the battery in car and the battery is defective and damages the car's computer. The manufacture still warranties the engine, but not the replacement battery and the damages it may cause.

The warnings contained throughout the manuals are meant as a safety warning and no where does it state that opening the back voids the warranty. If opening the back voided the warranty, wouldn't there be labels that state such, as you reference in your post. As I stated in my above post, I used to work for Apple Retail as a manager and have an intimate knowledge the workings related to warranties. I even confirmed what I have written with current Apple Retail managers and they confirmed what I'm telling you is correct.

The labels and seals you refer to are to prevent end users or service personnel from disassembling parts that are covered by additional warranties. For example a hard drive will have labels on it that say do not remove seal or you void the warranty. When a hard drive fails under warranty, the hard drive is replaced by an Apple or an AASP. The drive is returned to the drive manufacture and Apple is reimbursed for drive and other costs related to the warranty service. If the labels are disturbed/removed the manufacture will not reimburse Apple or the end user for the defective part. Many expensive internal components are covered by their manufacture's warranty, such as the processor, video/graphics card, hard drive and DVD drive.

Feb 28, 2011 7:06 PM in response to Jeff Donald

+The warnings contained throughout the manuals are meant as a safety warning and no where does it state that opening the back voids the warranty. If opening the back voided the warranty, wouldn't there be labels that state such, as you reference in your post.+

I didn't say anything about opening the back (I was referring to the labels on parts contained inside). I wouldn't - because: you do not open the iMac via the back. You did know that, of course? The only access is via the screen which is the front of the iMac.

The remainder of your post is of no consequence because most of your arguments are based on replacing hard drives and none of it addresses the OP's question. You have, in fact, simply taken over the OP's thread.

Although this is somewhat amusing, I am done wasting my time. You can stop now.

Upgrading the processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.