Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot Blue Band at top of iphone displays 2 connections

Recently after connecting laptop to iphone4, I am noticing that the blue band at the top of iphone screen displays: personal hotspot: 1 connection. Then after 5 minutes, it will display: personal hotspot: 2 connections. When using hotspot with laptop, I am utilizing yahoo mail, or idoling my facebook profile page and checking it once in awhile....basically, I shouldn't drain 1GB in just 3 hours, by looking at my profile on fb, and sending a few emails on yahooUser uploaded file I'm not using or viewing videos, media, music, nothing...Verizon seems to think what I'm accessing on my laptop IS using that much data! My thought is that other people are accessing my hotspot or wi-fi and that may explain why my usage is being sucked like crazy and the blue band displays: 2 connections! Can someone enlighten me on their thoughts, or how to disable other users from getting free internet off me!! Because this is a struggle:(

Dell Laptop and iphone4, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 2:27 AM

16 replies

Mar 31, 2011 11:58 AM in response to MandyMay

It's possible that your laptop is establishing 2 connections: WiFi & USB. If you connect your laptop thru WiFi, then you plug your phone in with the USB cable (to sync with iTunes, for example), then you might get both the WiFi and the USB connected at the same time. I don't remember the USB connection asking me for a password, so you may not have noticed when the USB connection established.

I don't know why you have so much bandwidth being used. Try changing the password for your Personal Hotspot.

Apr 4, 2011 11:20 PM in response to MandyMay

I was about to post a "me too" comment, when I realised that the USB cable I thought was plugged into a wall charger for my iPhone, was in fact plugged into my laptop. So, laptop via USB, plus iPad via Bluetooth, equals two connections! Now, while in this instance the laptop isn't actually using the USB connection, I would really like to be able to disable USB tethering when I need to. I also find it quite non-intuitive to switch the different tethering/hotspot methods on and off, especially with no visibility as to what may be connected to any specific method. After trying out MyWi, I've getting more and more tempted to go back and buy it. The ability to see exactly what's connected to what, and how much data has been used, plus easy toggling of wifi/bluetooth/usb is getting more attractive after experimenting with Apple's version.

Back to the OP, any chance that your iPhone is paired via Bluetooth with your laptop? The BT connection may be kicking in to cause the second connection? Still doesn't explain the data drain though... There is one other possibility there--automatic updates. Any chance that the 10.6.7 decided to start downloading in the background? That was pretty massive, and could well explain the extra GB download.

Dec 17, 2013 2:48 AM in response to MandyMay

For those people having a 2 connection using the personal hot spot it is actually the tethered connection and the wireless hot spot being used in your computer. All you have to do is disable the usb tether and let your laptop connect to your phone via wireless. Normally this happens because you are activating the hot spot at the same time charging

Sep 15, 2015 9:25 PM in response to CodeCavalier

I just used your thought, CodeCavalier, to pull the USB cord for my iPhone from my MBP USB port. "Personal Hotspot: 2 Connections" immediately changed to "...1 Connection." Plugged the USB cord back in and got "2 connections" about 1 sec later. Mandy May's question answered. Thank you. And Ace Haim has answered the question two but in a more theoretical way.

May 28, 2016 12:57 AM in response to tundern

Hi all,

I had this problem too and followed some of the advice here. I managed to change the number of connections from 2 to 1.

I also freaked, thinking who's tapping into my data 🙂 BUT - I tried switching off Bluetooth and no change.

Then, I switched of WIFI on your phone and it will immediately change 2 to 1 connection.

Hope this helps someone..

Twinny1

Hotspot Blue Band at top of iphone displays 2 connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.