Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Packet loss on Airport Extreme for hardwired computers

Hello!

When accessing the internet, I've been having problems with computers hardwired to my Airport Extreme. I've been testing with one computer at a time on the network. When I run tests at pingtest.net, I've been getting scores of B's and C's for the quality of my connection, and some D's. Always 1-4% packet loss, latency averaging 60ms, jitter averaging 10ms. When I plug that same computer directly into the modem, I consistently get 0% packet loss, 30-35ms latency, 1-3ms jitter. I ran the pingtest 10 times for each setup. I then did the same with 3 other computers.

This only happens with computers hardwired to the AEBS. The same computers via wifi don't have these problems.

Before replacing my AEBS, my question: is this common or acceptable? Or is there something wrong with my AEBS? It seems absurd that the AEBS would cause this much overhead. On wireless, I might accept it, but not on hardwired computers. But, I'm willing to consider otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Airport Extreme MC340LL/A, Windows XP

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 12:52 PM

2 replies

Feb 24, 2011 10:26 PM in response to slosparky

FWIW. I tried to duplicate your findings. In my case, I connected my MacBook directly to my 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn) by Ethernet. The AEBSn is connected directly (by Ethernet) to a Cisco RVS4000 Internet router ... and, finally, the Cisco is connected directly to a Motorola SB6120 modem.

I chose a Pingtest.net server within 50 miles of me and got the following resultant average: Packet Loss = 0; Ping = 34 ms, Jitter = 2%, and had a consistent "A" grade.

Only when I chose servers greater than 1000 miles distant, did the grade level start to drop.

Jun 6, 2013 3:49 PM in response to slosparky

I have the same issue, except my packet loss varies betwen 5% and 25%, and the delay is up to 500ms. Attaching my desktop directly to the cable modem gave me 10ms latency and 0% packet loss. Resetting the AE makes it work normally again, but the behaviour comes back after a while.

For me this is not acceptable, and I am looking forward to replace my AE to any other brand access point.

Packet loss on Airport Extreme for hardwired computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.