Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Access: Adding/Importing Internet Passwords

I am in the process of switching over to Safari 5 from Firefox 3.

Within FF I have accumulated a myriad of login ID/password combos and, if at all possible, it would be expedient to directly import them into Safari.

Now there doesn't appear to be an extension or plugin available (yet) that handles this and Safari isn't owning up to it as a standard function (unlike its ability to do the same with bookmarks).

As it appears that Keychain Accessis the de facto repository for this information (from which Safari draws) it makes sense to be able to have this function here - except that on the face of it, there isn't one.

So the question is this: assuming the login entries are available in a 3rd form e.g. CSV or XML (easy to do in FF), can they be copied/imported/dragged etc. into Keychain? If this is possible, what is correct format to do it?

I am really looking for a solution before I admit defeat and start entering them one by one (and subsequently do doo-lally); please no 'crying in your beer' replies about how it's affected you and your ability to enjoy life etc... ;o)

Macmini G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 2:20 PM

I think the "1Password" application is supposed to be able to import Firefox passwords and make them available to other browsers. I don't use it myself and don't know whether it exports to the Keychain. Apart from that, I don't know of anything.
5 replies

Mar 3, 2011 8:37 AM in response to BobHarris

Had a look at both of these beforehand but initially put-off by the notion of storing my passwords on a server. Encrypted or not, it's not the kind of thing I like really.

Having said that they both offer fairly sturdy protection (more than the standard host solution in FireFox anyway). Have opted for LastPass; as it's free!

Thanks eversomuch for responding - I really appreciate it.

Keychain Access: Adding/Importing Internet Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.