Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up new MBP with TimeMachine

I've got a mac mini and I just ordered the new MBP. I know the new MBP's come with the new suite of iLife and FaceTime and all the other apps. Question is, when I set up the new MBP from my time machine backup, will my old iLife suite transfer over? How about my beta facetime app that I have on my mini but I know the new macs will have FaceTime HD? Is there anything I can do to make the setup of my new mac seamless?

Mac Mini Intel 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 4:07 PM

By far the best, fastest, easiest way to set up a new Mac from an old one is to use +Setup Assistant+ when you first start it up.

You can do it directly from the old Mac, or from the old Mac's backups. See #19 in [Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/FAQ.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum) for details.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2011 4:07 PM in response to Lessandro

By far the best, fastest, easiest way to set up a new Mac from an old one is to use +Setup Assistant+ when you first start it up.

You can do it directly from the old Mac, or from the old Mac's backups. See #19 in [Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/FAQ.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum) for details.

Feb 24, 2011 4:52 PM in response to Pondini

I used setup assistant last time when I changed from a 2009 mini to a 2010 mini. It caused some file permission errors that still persist today with iPhoto. I have 2 accounts on my mini, 1 for my wife and 1 for myself, but I store all our photos and videos on the shared folder in order to avoid duplication. But when she imports pictures from her profile and I try to view them full screen, I'm unable to. I have to relaunch iPhoto and repair file permissions if I want to view them properly. I was hoping to avoid this happening again.

Setting up new MBP with TimeMachine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.