Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie does not see Aperture referenced .mov files

Does imovie not see Aperture referenced .mov files. I have two libraries one on the main HD and another on a second volume. I can only see managed files on the main HD. How do I point imovie to look for the other aperture library.

MBP 2.66 8gig ram, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 6:34 PM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

This seems to have been a problem for a while. My Aperture library is >500GB and I can't store it on the internal drive of my new retina MBP. If I hadn't moved to referenced files already I would have had to do it now.

When you point iMovie to the drive with the referenced folders you seem to have to use the 'import' option and cannot index the movies in folders lower than the one chosen. I can tolerate the inconvenience of iMovie not being able to use the index of referenced movie files. It's an extra bind that iMovie itself can't index a drive or hierarchy of folders to produce a pick list of video footage.

One thing I might try is creating a new Aperture library on an external drive and putting all my video files in that. Keeping that as a managed library, I can perhaps take advantage of the Aperture-iMovie link.

imovie does not see Aperture referenced .mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.