Skip navigation

imovie does not see Aperture referenced .mov files

1281 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 11:49 AM by PrettyGreenParrot RSS
dbmoore Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 24, 2011 6:34 PM
Does imovie not see Aperture referenced .mov files. I have two libraries one on the main HD and another on a second volume. I can only see managed files on the main HD. How do I point imovie to look for the other aperture library.
MBP 2.66 8gig ram, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (990 points)
    Feb 24, 2011 6:38 PM (in response to dbmoore)
    dbmoore,

I think you're going to have to re-explain your problem. Referenced items, by definition, are not stored in your Aperture library. You can find them via Finder. If you can find them via Finder, you can point iMovie to them.

nathan
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Aperture 3.1.1
  • Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,745 points)
    Feb 24, 2011 7:34 PM (in response to dbmoore)
    This is a known issue (whether its by design or its a bug I don't know) but see:

[Aperture 3: Some videos in Aperture library are not available in iMovie Event Library|http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3329]

Only managed videos in Aperture are available to iMovie.
    iMac Intel 3.06 GHz 8GB Mem; Macbook5.1 2.4ghz 4GB Mem, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Aperture 3.1.1
  • PrettyGreenParrot Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This seems to have been a problem for a while. My Aperture library is >500GB and I can't store it on the internal drive of my new retina MBP. If I hadn't moved to referenced files already I would have had to do it now.

When you point iMovie to the drive with the referenced folders you seem to have to use the 'import' option and cannot index the movies in folders lower than the one chosen. I can tolerate the inconvenience of iMovie not being able to use the index of referenced movie files. It's an extra bind that iMovie itself can't index a drive or hierarchy of folders to produce a pick list of video footage.

One thing I might try is creating a new Aperture library on an external drive and putting all my video files in that. Keeping that as a managed library, I can perhaps take advantage of the Aperture-iMovie link.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.