Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get spotlight/Dictionary to show All, not just Dictionary

I'm a late Snow Leopard adopter, and I see that when I use Spotlight to look up a word, Dictionary always switches to the "Dictionary" tab, regardless of what my previous setting was. This is a pain because whenever I look up a word, I always want the Thesaurus to show too. I couldn't find a setting in its preferences. Any help would be great.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 11:35 AM

AFAICT, there's no way to select All when the Dictionary pops up using Spotlight. All you can do is reorder the items so Thesaurus is the default instead of Dictionary.

If you want to report this issue to Apple's engineering, send a bug report or an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, join the Mac Developer Program—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2011 11:35 AM in response to matthewcornell

AFAICT, there's no way to select All when the Dictionary pops up using Spotlight. All you can do is reorder the items so Thesaurus is the default instead of Dictionary.

If you want to report this issue to Apple's engineering, send a bug report or an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, join the Mac Developer Program—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.

How to get spotlight/Dictionary to show All, not just Dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.