Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove a shared computer

A friend came over with his PC laptop and I got him on the LAN to access his PC. Now he's taken his PC away I cannot remove the icon from the shared section in the Finder window. How is this done?

MP 2.8/8 cores, MBP 2.8, 16GB RAM,, Mac OS X (10.6.3), ATI 3850

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 12:48 AM

67 replies

Mar 22, 2017 6:04 PM in response to SeamusUK

Try this: and then at the end physically turn computer off then on..

Mar 20, 2016 8:05 AM Re: how to remove a shared computerin response to wstoneburner

I've been working on removing an old HP computer and making only a little headway when I came across your suggestion and tried it. I was multi-tasking on my Macbook Pro and using my Mac and didn't want to meddle with the router physically until the Macbook Pro was finished with what I had it doing, so I decided to go ahead and try your suggestion.

The problem was this: I had an old HP computer visible on the Finder list at the left side of the window and wanted to remove it.

In a previous post, I came across the check/uncheck Bonjour computers suggestion in the Finder Preferences under the Sidebar menu and it would indeed 'hide' the HP but there was a new item which appeared with the word 'All' in it that came on in place of the HP item and I didn't want to see either.

As soon as I re-checked the Bonjour computers checkbox, the HP came back so I knew it was still present, just hidden and since I no longer use that computer, I wanted it gone for good.

Next, I saw the thread about toggling the File Share off then back on and voila! My HP is now gone off the Shared list in Finder and I can toggle Bonour computers on and off and HP is still gone. Yay! Thanks for the help wstoneburner and a few others who posted before yours which led me to your suggestion.

Jan 22, 2012 3:58 PM in response to Koen van Dijken

This does not work. I have some PCs I used to be on a network with but no longer work at that company. They still show up in my sidebar. Have tried killing Finder prefs, sidebar prefs and even killall Finder from Terminal. Of course if I uncheck show Bonjour computers from Finder prefs they go away but so do my local macs. If I recheck show Bonjour computers they all come back including the extinct PCs. I'm on 10.6.8 but have had these showing up under 10.6.7 as well....no way I see to make them go away. And yes I logged out after each attempt.

Oct 15, 2017 3:53 AM in response to Global Hiccup

I just setup my new MacBook, and I too had my daughters pc in the shared window. I tried to follow all advice and was not able to remove it. I did see it in Network and thought how could this show up on a new computer when I realised the information was coming from my router. So I went into the routed ip and found her in allowed connections and blocked her, restarted the laptop and now it is gone from the shared window. Maybe helpful to some.

Feb 28, 2011 8:44 AM in response to Koen van Dijken

I found a way to remove a unused share:

1. Go to Finder Preferences
2. Click Sidebar in this window
3. uncheck 'Bonjour Computers' (whatever these may be 😉
4. Now the unused share will disappear, but a All.. thingie appears
5. recheck 'Bonjour Computers' will remove the All.. thingie, but the unused share will stay away.

This did the trick in my case.

Koen

Message was edited by: Koen van Dijken

Message was edited by: Koen van Dijken

Apr 6, 2012 7:08 PM in response to Twitchly

Twitchly wrote:

Extinct computers, plus one mysteriously named "MacbookPro -1085," continue to show up.

Try this.

In Finder, choose Go > Connect to Server… (⌘K). If any of the extinct computers show up under Favorite Servers, remove them. Then, from the Recent Servers pop-up menu, choose "Clear recent servers…". Confirm.

(It may or it may not work, but there's no harm in trying.)

how to remove a shared computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.