Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

short-range wireless question

My computer sits across the room from the telephone outlet. I would like to get rid of the telephone line I now have running to the DSL modem and the Ethernet cable running from it to my Mini. The guy at the Apple store suggested I get the AirPort Express Base Station, which, he said, would make it possible to use my computer "all over the house." The $99 price tag is certainly worth it for that kind of range. However, I live in a studio apartment, so the $99 price tag is a bit of overkill for me.

Can someone suggest a cheaper product? Its range only needs to be about 15'.

Mac mini 3.1, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Intel Core 2 Duo 1.26GHz

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 8:18 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2011 3:06 AM in response to taueva

Pick up any wireless router and use that. I have a few used NetGear Routers that I bought on eBay here in UK for less than £1 GBP - work perfectly.

I'm sure you can find similar used gear in Hawaii!

BTW: neither an Apple nor Netgear wireless router will solve your telephone wire problem. Sounds like you need a wireless (DECT?) telephone for that.

Feb 27, 2011 8:30 AM in response to mooblie

Thanks. I wondered if every router would have software that would work with a Mac. The guy at Radio Shack first checked the box to see if it would before he recommended a $70 unit, which he preferred because he said the cheaper ones were more difficult to set up. So that was another concern.

I just looked on Craig's list and noticed a couple advertised locally for $5 and $10. I'll check them out.

For the telephone itself, I'll get a 2-phone cordless with the base unit set by the telephone outlet and the other unit on my desk.

short-range wireless question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.