Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing my Apple TV?

Hi,

Currently I'm having some issues with my Apple TV (Gen 1) and think about switching to a Mac Mini instead. Can somebody help me with these topics:

* My iPhoto albums often contain MP4 videos in full HD (1080p). On Apple TV those are not synced. If I use Front Row, will they show up and play in the slideshow?
* Which Mac Mini will I need for good performance?
* Can I remote control Front Row using Apple's Remote app for the iPhone?
* Is Front Row still maintained? What does it (not) offer that Apple TV does?

René

2.26GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 3:12 AM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2011 2:41 AM in response to Krumelur76

I have a few elements of response for you. If you want FullHD, you will definitely need one of the latest Model with NVidia 320M Graphics and HDMI port. The iPhone Remote will definitely work with iTunes, but I don't believe that it will work with FrontRow (but you can use the Apple Remote for this). Concerning the FrontRow maintenance, from what I see, FrontRow has not really seen updates since Leopard, and unless Apple decides otherwise until this summer, it looks like it will completely disappear from Lion. But who knows, maybe it will be replaced with some kind of AppleTV interface. I really like FrontRow too and I have also been thinking of using a Mac Mini Server as a solution. Just like you I would like to see the AppleTV interface on the Mac to use as Media Center, but I don't believe it will.

Replacing my Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.