Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem recognising ZTE Dongle (three network) in new build OS X 10.6.6

Hey guys, new to the whole "Apple thing",

Just got the new MBP the other day after exchanging the one I'd bought last week (last year's lower-end 15" model), problem is I've tried installing my three usb dongle onto it but the setup assistant is failing to recognise the dongle and it isn't turning up in network preferences so i'm assuming something is wrong with the drivers. It worked last week, even after I'd updated 10.6.5 to 10.6.6.

Oh, I should add that the whole system crashed (everything froze and a little window advised me to hold down the power button) after I updated iweb and java for mac, this was all before I tried to install the dongle.

I did a reinstall using the supplied disc but the problem persists, I can't get this silly dongle to be recognised on the system!

Also, today I was on windows 7 professional and instead of shutting it down I put it to sleep; after about 4 or 5 hours it turned itself on! The white apple on the back screen turned on and then it put itself into hibernation... The one I had last week didn't do this so what gives?

Is it a function of Windows to go into hibernation after 5 hours? The MBP was plugged in the entire time so I don't understand it...

If anyone could provide any insight I'd be much obliged!

MacBook Pro 2.0GHz 2011, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 3:37 AM

7 replies

Mar 2, 2011 12:44 AM in response to invasiveIrenics

Found a way around the problem, not ideal but it works.

I downloaded the Vodafone drivers here: http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10productsupport/laptop_connectivity/40_software/software/10_latest/pmac.jsp

Installed them which in turn adds the modem into your Network Services in System Prefs > Network.

From there you can manually set up the 3 Mobile account. Under the ZTEUSBModem add the following info:

Telephone number: *99#
Account Name: username
Password: password

Click connect and it should do the trick.

I deleted all the vodafone software off after and it still works fine. *do not uninstall though or you'll lose the drivers*

Hope that helps.

Mar 30, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Bluey1980

100% mate, works a treat, cheers

Brand new to Mac (previously WinXP) and was a bit annoyed at the 3 USB dongle not playing ball with my shiny new "toy" 😟

Other forums I have looked through just blaming 2011 hardware "issues" (without solution) even though it is actually recognised in Profiler.

Anyway good to see there is an easy workaround and even better, once Vodafone software (more importantly - drivers) installed the "3 Connect Setup" software then recognises it and manual configuration is unnecessary 😀

Problem recognising ZTE Dongle (three network) in new build OS X 10.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.