Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wet Iphone 4 wont power on and flash light stays on - Help!

The bag containing my iphone got caught in the rain yesterday, and my phone wet as a result. It initially worked as normal but a little slow, then I realised it had gone off completely. Although the screen was completely blank, the flashlight stayed on.

After reading a few forums online I put my phone into a ziplock freezer bag full of rice and 1 silica gel pack.

Eventually the light went off (I guess as the battery died), After 24hours I took it out the bag and plugged it in the wall. The apple logo came up then immediately aftwards the screen went blank, but the flashlight came back on and a clicking noise seemed to be coming from the camera.

I'm a bit concerened now, and have put the phone back into the rice bag.

Does anyone have any tips to help me or is the phone dead?

I can't remember the last time I backed the phone up, so is it likely I've lost the data I haven't backed up?

Thanks
Paul

Iphone4

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 10:20 AM

20 replies

Feb 27, 2011 10:27 AM in response to pauldba

As I'm sure you are aware, moisture and electronics don't mix. As soon as you realized your iPhone had gotten wet, you should have immediately powered it off if it wasn't off already. If there was no damage prior to the iPhone being powered off and being completely dried which will take longer than 24 hours, keeping the iPhone powered on and using it or powering it back on and using it or trying to use it while it remains wet will cause damage.

More than likely the iPhone is damaged beyond repair.

I can't remember the last time I backed the phone up, so is it likely I've lost the data I haven't backed up?

Not likely, definitely, which is why you should sync your iPhone with iTunes on a regular basis such as daily.

Feb 28, 2011 4:59 AM in response to pauldba

What you should have done is to turn off the phone and put it out to dry as soon as you got home, even if it was working.

If the phone got water inside, sometimes you will need to open it physically (thus voiding your warranty which was already voided by water damage) to let it dry completely.

Right now, your phone is probably fried and all data lost because you were using it while it was still wet inside.

But I may be wrong. To dry it, use rice as you have already done, or use some kitty litter. It absorbs water.

Mar 1, 2011 2:21 PM in response to pauldba

as your warranty is already void you could try a couple of things. the rice idea is a good idea however it wont get the water from the inside the iphone. try taking it out of your rice bag and putting the phone somewhere very warm. above 40+ centigrade ( i have tested my iphone in hotter places and still works fine) do that for 2 hours and then give it a full charge. while your giving it a charge place it somewhere warm. after its fully charge try turning it on. just to make it clear this will voided your warranty but its already void because its wet. if that doesnt work try "baking it" i will give you more detail on that after you done the first idea

Mar 1, 2011 5:28 PM in response to weginold

Placing the iPhone in a bag of raw rice and/or silica gel packets WILL remove moisture from the inside of the iPhone, it may take 3 to 4 days. If you are going to dry it without the above (which act as desiccant) it should be placed in a cool, dry place like a cupboard. It should not be placed in an area 40+ centigrade as this will promote rusting and do damage to the battery. And it should be left for 4 to 5 days. Baking it? You are kidding, right? If it is that bad you are far better off disassembling it and drying it. If the person is not up to that they can send it to a 3rd party for repair or, better yet, do an out-of-warranty replacement at an Apple Store or online with Apple.

Mar 5, 2011 3:52 AM in response to Allan Sampson

ok update! REmoved phone from the rice/silica gel bag.

I plugged into itunes and it recognised the phone was there! so i immediately backed up.

When you call it it rings and vibrates, but the screen is blank.

I've done a few searches on the internet and I am recommended to restart the phone, pushing the two buttons and holding for 10 seconds. This doesn't seem to work, and I dont see anything on the screen at all.

Good news is its still being recognised by itunes.

Any ideas? Is my screen just dead?

Mar 10, 2012 8:20 AM in response to pauldba

I tried the bag of rice to take out the moisture on my grandmas IPhone and left it for two days. Clumsy as I am I forgot to change the rice like I was suppose to n stuck a grain of rice in the head phone socket to check if it was pink or still white. As I pulled it out it was white. Later I tried to power it on after changing the rice and left with the iPhones light of death. Well I call it the light of death anyway. Only the LED light comes on. As for your back up Paul apples cloud system has a record of your purchases and apps on purchased so you should be ok with that.

Jul 16, 2013 7:38 PM in response to pauldba

I got mine wet and did t turn it off im actually still using it my audio WAS out but I thought of choke and the earwax candle thing I rolled up small tubes of paper put them in headphone jack and lit em up I've got my audio back now !!

Unfortunately my flash is still on an my cams misty and the shutter on screen won't open so I dunno but the paper tube thing in my mind vacuums vapor out and I figure at worst smoke gets in and would draw the water off electronic **** in there but I don't know I do know that my audio was out for like 2 months before when I got it wet.

Wet Iphone 4 wont power on and flash light stays on - Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.