Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro won't wake from sleep on SSD boot drive

MacPro is unresponsive awaking from sleep, regardless of what is running. I've put my system & apps on a 120G Mercury Extreme Pro 2.5", with my data residing on SATA. So far, I've reset PRAM, had logic board replaced thru Apple Care, archived & reinstalled, and am currently trying to resolve with a level 2 tech, although scheduling calls is becoming prohibitive & frustrating. Have been at it for 5 weeks. Installed system onto SSD using CarbonCopy Cloner from SATA. Mac is a mid 2010 Refurb 2.66. Any insight would be helpful.

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 1:23 PM

13 replies

Feb 27, 2011 1:39 PM in response to Thomas Hopper

SSDs don't know how to spin down 😉

And only 2.66 for Mid-2010 were in 12-core; 2009 had a quad @ 2.66.

I have never opted for "allow drives to spin down when not in use", tried that?

Where is it connected and running?

There is a thread from a month or two ago about SSD issues (they seem to come in groups) that sounded similar. Of course probably went unresolved.

The only folks I would bother with are OWC support probably and until there is more support for SSD under OS X, and people have their own view of course (TRIM, Sand Force GC and all the rest).

There are also some studies showing that RAID SSD just isn't worth it if you have a good unit and not too small.

Some people swear by them; some swear at 'em!

Feb 27, 2011 2:06 PM in response to Thomas Hopper

You know what? SoftRAID has been really helpful, and their driver is superb for drives, RAID and non, and now SSD support. Give 'em an email @ support and check their product features. Not cheap but then I recall buying HD Toolkit, Silverlining, and some others, all in the $99+ and $149 for piece of mind is worth it (it does background checking for blocks and errors and other things that Apple doesnt).

http://www.softraid.com

Mar 26, 2011 5:34 PM in response to Thomas Hopper

Has this wake-from-sleep issue with OWC SSDs been resolved?

While my SSD is not an OWC, I've been having this issue with my OCZ Vertex 2, also based on the Sandforce chip.

OCZ's most recent firmware (1.32) has fixed the issues related to hibernation (i.e. "safe-sleep") but the drive still has issues waking from timed inactivity sleep.

I wrote about it on their support forums in this thread:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?86538-Hibernation-works-b ut-wake-from-auto-timer-sleep-problem-still-present-in-1.32

Aug 3, 2011 10:55 PM in response to Thomas Hopper

I'm using a OWC 120GB SSD on my mac pro with no problems.

I recall that sometime back sometime after I got my SSD there was a report (like this one) that Sandforce-based SSD's (like OWC's) had some sleep-related problem associated with hibernate mode. There was supposed to be a firmware update but I don't know if it ever was released. If it was it was certainly after I got my SSD.

At any rate, type,

pmset -g

in the terminal and see if it says hibernatemode is 0. If it's non-zero change it to 0,

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

May 31, 2012 12:06 PM in response to Thomas Hopper

Does everyone having this problem have their SSD in their Optibay (superdrive bay)? Lifehacker noted that macbooks do not look to that SATA port for waking from sleep, so if the bootdrive is the SSD in the superbay drive, it won't work properly. Try moving the SSD to the primary slot, and move the secondary HDD to the optibay slot...

Please post if this helps or changes anything.

http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to...n-your-macbook

Sep 25, 2013 3:32 AM in response to X423424X

Hi,

i did exactly as you suggest and I immediately solve the wake problem with my Macbook Pro 2012 (Samsung 830 ssd drive). But now, when battery goes to 0% and Macbook goes to sleep mode, it turns off everything. So I have to reboot OSX (my version is 10.8.5) and can't replace my sessione as I'd like to do.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Mac Pro won't wake from sleep on SSD boot drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.