Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Ethernet Adapter Stopped Working On Mac Mini Server Running 10.6.6

Is anybody out there successfully using the Apple USB Ethernet adapter on a Mac Mini Server running 10.6.6? They have stopped working for me.

The boot disk in the 2009 Mac Mini Server in my classroom failed and after Apple replaced the disk and I reinstalled SLS and ran Software Update to bring the machine up to 10.6.6 the USB Ethernet adapter that was the interface to the outside world no longer recognized when a cable was plugged in. The cable was good and worked just fine if plugged into another machine or the built-in interface. At first I thought that the USB Interface had failed but after trying two new ones (graciously exchanged by Apple) and finding that none of them worked I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps the warning on the package that the USB Ethernet only works with the MacBook Air finally became true.

Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 9:01 AM

Douglas Urner wrote:
Is anybody out there successfully using the Apple USB Ethernet adapter on a Mac Mini Server running 10.6.6? They have stopped working for me.

The boot disk in the 2009 Mac Mini Server in my classroom failed and after Apple replaced the disk and I reinstalled SLS and ran Software Update to bring the machine up to 10.6.6 the USB Ethernet adapter that was the interface to the outside world no longer recognized when a cable was plugged in. The cable was good and worked just fine if plugged into another machine or the built-in interface. At first I thought that the USB Interface had failed but after trying two new ones (graciously exchanged by Apple) and finding that none of them worked I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps the warning on the package that the USB Ethernet only works with the MacBook Air finally became true.

Only the specific build of Mac OS X that comes with a MacBook Air includes the kernel extension to run the Apple USB Ethernet adapter, however there are no hardware issues preventing it being used on other Mac models if you have a suitable driver.

Generic USB drivers can be downloaded for free from http://www.sustworks.com/site/newsusbethernet.html and this worked for me.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2011 9:01 AM in response to Douglas Urner

Douglas Urner wrote:

Only the specific build of Mac OS X that comes with a MacBook Air includes the kernel extension to run the Apple USB Ethernet adapter, however there are no hardware issues preventing it being used on other Mac models if you have a suitable driver.

Generic USB drivers can be downloaded for free from http://www.sustworks.com/site/newsusbethernet.html and this worked for me.

USB Ethernet Adapter Stopped Working On Mac Mini Server Running 10.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.