Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video software for PM 8500

Hi Folks, I have an 8500 and I'd like to be able to input a video signal into the S-video in and be able to see it on the screen. If anyone knows what software I need to look for, I'd sure appreciate it!

Kind Regards, Scott Loiselle

MB-Pro, MB, PB, G5, G4x2, G3, 8500 7100, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 7:21 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2011 5:02 PM in response to Scott Loiselle

The 8500 probably shipped with a bundled version of the Avid video software, but you'd have to search the web to find it now. Have you tried connecting an S-Video cable to the input? The "Apple TV/Video" (or similarly-named) extension must be enabled. Be aware that the video input circuitry in Macs of that period doesn't support full-screen display. The video image will appear in a small window.

Mar 2, 2011 4:33 AM in response to Scott Loiselle

Jeff, thank you for the reply. Yeah, I had tried feeding video into both the S-vid and composite inputs and wasn't able to get anything happening. I have a pile of assorted system discs from about 7.5.1 up but the original software for this 8500 appears to be lost. It's currently running 9.0.4 and it's happy so I'm loathe to ∆ anything.

I did end up finding a very simple app called video monitor. All it does is take whatever is at the input(s) and puts in on the screen. It was full screen when I tried it but I ran out of time to see if I could also get it to be a smaller window. Cool is that you can switch between the composite and S-vid inputs (I'm feeding two different Roland samplers into the video ins, so that's helpful).

Thanks again for the reply.

Mar 2, 2011 9:31 PM in response to Scott Loiselle

Scott,

Just a note about the Apple Video software included with the system, which should be under the Apple menu. If you connect a digital camera to the computer and the camera has a live view finder, Apple Video will treat that as a video camera. Hit record and move the camera around. What ever shows up in the view finder will be recorded as a movie on the Mac. Fun tidbit discovered by accident, years ago. Too bad it is low resolution but the computers back then could not handle the volume of data required for high res.

Jim

video software for PM 8500

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.