Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disappearing emails

I just tried to re-name a mailbox and suddenly there was a duplicate one (only white, not blue), including sub-folders, but neither of them contain the emails I had filed in the one I tried to re-name. Are my emails gone for good? What happened to them? What is this white folder icon? HELP!

Judy

iMac G5 20" 1.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Mail 2.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 8:20 AM

41 replies

Mar 1, 2011 9:27 AM in response to Judith Anne

Hi Judy, as you see, you cannot do that, you can create a new Mailbox of a different name & move the eMails though.

Create a new Mailbox, quit Mail, then in Finder go to...

I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail Downloads

(Could be a different folder here if you chose such in Mail Prefs)

Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder... only the plist is separate.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

Then start Mail & try to name that folder back to the original, quit & restart Mail, if that doesn't work we'll have to in the Finder go to...

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Find that particular Mailbox & move the .emlx files

(dot ee em el ex)

To that new folder we created in Mail.

Mar 1, 2011 10:06 AM in response to BDAqua

Please don't take this as lack of appreciation for the time you have taken to reply, which believe me I am grateful for. But I can't make heads or tails of your instructions, and I still have no clue why this happened.

Why is renaming a mailbox an option in the menu if I can't do it without making my emails disappear? Besides which, I HAVE re-named mailboxes before, and this hasn't happened. So one thing I need here is to understand why this happened now when I've re-named many mailboxes without it happening.

Are my missing emails still in the computer somewhere? I can't tell if you are explaining how I should have done it, or what I should do in future, or what I can do to recover the missing ones.

Mar 1, 2011 10:25 AM in response to Judith Anne

My fault you don't understand, not yours, I'll keep trying. 🙂

Why is renaming a mailbox an option in the menu if I can't do it without making my emails disappear?

I misunderstood, thought you did it some other way, the way you did it should work, might try this.

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

BTW, is this IMAP or POP?

EDIT:

Are my missing emails still in the computer somewhere?

I'd get EasyFind...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11076

Here's a direct download link to EasyFind 4.0 which runs in 10.3.9 & up...

http://www.devon-technologies.com/files/legacy/macosx1039/EasyFind.dmg.zip

From this page,

http://www.devon-technologies.com/support/faqs.php?p=default&cat=19

Freeware applications:

* EasyFind 4.0
* PhotoStickies 5.6
* ThumbsUp 4.3
* XMenu 1.8

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8707

Use it to search your whole drive for case insensitive & show invisibles...

.emlx

(dot ee em el ex)

Message was edited by: BDAqua

Mar 1, 2011 11:16 AM in response to Judith Anne

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

disappearing emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.