Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wish I hadn't!! Tried download from Vuze (eeekkk!) In a mess now!

Well - I say 'I' - actually my son! He was after a particular piece of software which appeared to download fine through Vuze but to install it you had to change something in the Terminal??? He went ahead and fiddles about and blast the Mac screamed for help! I had to restore the while lot from OS disc which took about 4 hours! After reloading my Entourage was a bit of a mess - but managed (I think) to sort that. But we have also noticed now that certain programs refuse to open?? Vuze being one, Entourage was another which I resintalled. Don't feel at all confident about my Mac now. I trashed all to do with Vuze in the hope that I could reinstall it - but when the installation completes - open Vuze and it immediately refers you back to the web page? Cant get any further than that. Have a got a disc utility - I can't even show you now what he did as after the restore the trash bin was emptied?? Anyone help? Any Vuze buddies there? Any patient restores that can help in a way that doesn't take 4 hours? Thank you. SM

imac OS x, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 12:02 PM

32 replies

Mar 1, 2011 12:06 PM in response to Stressed Mum

Peer 2 Peer software such as Vuze are the only real credible security threat to Macs running Mac OS X. The problem, especially if it asks you to do something to the Terminal, or use an administrator password, is that it could install something malicious. This is a classic example of a Trojan Horse. Change your administrator password to one your son doesn't know and doesn't have access to. Erase your system and make a parental controls only account for them. Until they know better not ot use Peer 2 Peer software they should have no administrative rights on the computer.

Mar 1, 2011 12:09 PM in response to a brody

And this is a credible security threat to all operating systems. So be careful. Many of these Peer 2 Peer sites hold illegal copies of software, music, and videos, some of them are untested development software that may have the same version as final release software, with no way to tell apart until you end up installing it on your system. So unless your son has a legitimate reason to access such sites, he should shouldn't use them.

Mar 1, 2011 12:18 PM in response to Stressed Mum

Unfortunately you don't know the nature of it. You can try some anti-virus software for the Mac, but without knowing the nature of exactly what was done, it may not be visible at all. If you had been making clone backups all along, you could have just restored your clone. That just takes an hour or two at most.

Clam Anti-virus and Sophos are probably the best regarded anti-virus for the Mac.

http://www.clamav.net/
http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/free-mac-anti-virus/

If neither detects anything, I'm afraid it is a restore from the best backup you have available.

See my backup FAQ* for some options:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Mar 1, 2011 12:23 PM in response to Stressed Mum

First, consider a backup strategy such that you always have one set off line, that means two backup sets minimum.

A combination for some is to clone their system weekly and use TimeMachine (though I am more inclined to change backup schedule to one or twice a day, only when the system is idle, and other things).

And keep all the original software installers on a non-system drive too.

You should have with a clean install of the OS not had any 3rd party or issues unless on backup drives.

I don't know if you can selectively restore with what you have or used. Carbon Copy Cloner backups are very flexible.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13635/vuze

One thing to remember, P2P means your IP was/is out there, and there are going to be more denial of service, rlogin and other queries at your front door (modem or router firewall).

It uses Java, has a Firefox plug-in. To use all its features, you do need to do some configuring, nothing as bad as RedRyder or White Knight even use to be, but more than average for most.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/User_Guide

Mar 1, 2011 12:32 PM in response to The hatter

Oh NO!! Now I am panicking..I have time machine set up on External Disc and it is this that I restored to earlier. I took the system back to yesterday before all this happened. So I guess that's not enough? Are you suggesting that I perhaps completely start all over again? Wipe the whole lot off and reinstall OS? When we have used Vuze before we have never kept the files on the vuze library etc so were unable to forward on any sharing.. I am a little confused I think. I was assured that antivirus was not necessary. I have Applecare but I guess admitting to Vuze will wipe that one out? A very stressed mum!

Mar 1, 2011 12:42 PM in response to Stressed Mum

Anti-virus is not necessary for those who do not engage in risky activities such as Peer-2-peer software, or running applications under administrative mode without regard for what is being run. Peer-2-peer software is a totally different ball game. At least on a Mac, an attachment on its own is innocuous, since it can't self-replicate. But it is a much different world when you give someone keys to the system's own under the hood data. First look at the possibility of eradicating the Trojan with those two software. Don't be stressed. Just let this be a good learning experience. Kids should not be allowed access to under the hood items unless they know what risks they are getting themselves into.

Mar 1, 2011 1:13 PM in response to Stressed Mum

If you have restored your machine to a backup from before all this happened, all should be fine. If it isn't, you probably have something else going on, though you never know what else your son might have installed. There aren't many threats for the Mac, but there are some... see my [Mac Virus guide|http://www.reedcorner.net/guides/macvirus>. You may want to consider a scan with [ClamXav|http://www.clamxav.com> just to set your mind at ease.

Note that, although peer-to-peer (P2P) software is risky - akin to trying to buy a Rolex from a guy in a trenchcoat standing on the corner using your credit card - there are other ways to get a trojan on your Mac. Avoiding P2P software, and not allowing your son to use an admin account on the household Mac(s), is important, but will not ensure safety if care is not taken elsewhere.

Mar 1, 2011 1:28 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you = reassurrsing. My iMac is MY iMac - just that my son who is used to using macs at school thought he was ok - and has been before. He most only definitely used vuze. Downloaded an adobe software program which needed to be launched from the Terminal with some script added in - as soon as we saw that this has caused a problem we shut down and inserted the OS disc for a restore to an earlier time - I thought that this would resolve the issues. Perhaps it has - maybe the Entourage was being a pig today for some reason - but that is fine now. Vuze itself, is playing up - when you open it and start a search it just reverts back to the Applications folder and nothing happens. I'll continue running the scan and see if anything shows up - and tonight before we sleep I'll do another restore to perhaps a few days ago and see where we are then. Both my son and daughter have their own PC laptops with Windows but as he was using a mac at school with photosop on it he wanted to have a go of the trial version download... but never again!

Mar 1, 2011 1:32 PM in response to Stressed Mum

A clean install of OS X would get you back up and running properly.

And having done so, make a backup clone of the system also for doing repairs and such.

With P2P you do want to pay attention to firewall settings, best done @ router, not software firewall really. It just uses its own TCP/UDP ports and services is all, and to make sure you have your router and SL firewall active and in place, and disable services and sharing. No one wants any more SYN flooding or DDoS if it can be avoided.

There were instances of illegal software on P2P, everything under the sun, and some had malware inserted into the applications.

It sounded, to me, like maybe the backup and restore wasn't good. And you can restore but better to wipe the drive. And start with a new system before restoring.

A clean install and update of all of OS X alone should not take more than 45 minutes to an hour. Depends on how large or how much you need to restore. By keeping all the data and media files off the system drive should be easy to handle.

Don't understand though what was done, or why not just let him 'undo' and make whatever changes necessary to clean it up.

Mar 1, 2011 1:51 PM in response to The hatter

"A clean install and update of all of OS X alone should not take more than 45 minutes to an hour. Depends on how large or how much you need to restore. By keeping all the data and media files off the system drive should be easy to handle."

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever, on how to do a clean install - I could not imagine having to set everything up again. I recall late last year I had to do a similar thing and although I can't remember how I did it - I was not happy having to download all my applications again.

I have no idea how to use the time machine properly either - I did what we did today be trial and error really! I put the OX disc in, shut down, start up holding 'c' instal, Utilities, restore from back up. Is that right?

Mar 1, 2011 1:59 PM in response to Stressed Mum

A clean install is just booting from OS X DVD as you did only doing the install.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cleaninstall+macos

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/Snow_Leopard_InstallationInstructions.pdf

http://www.apple.com/support/snowleopard/

Mac OS X The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition. By David Pogue. 950 pages $24 should be on any bookshelf with wealth of information for any user.

The Help menu in applications.

Mar 1, 2011 2:16 PM in response to The hatter

"A clean install is just booting from OS X DVD as you did only doing the install"

Ok I got you! I do already have the manuals - but when you're stressed and need immediate help you or rather I shout it out loud! I'll take my time and get this done properly. Can I ask you though please... If I clean install will I have to install all my apps again, itunes, photos software etc? The thought of that terrifies me... 😟

If you're fed up with me - no worries - I'll read the manual or ring apple care tomorrow.
Thank you all for your help. I will post back and let you know what happened!!

I have googled the Vuze disappearing problem - which is recognised - but all far to 'techy' for me to deal with!

SM

Mar 1, 2011 3:25 PM in response to Stressed Mum

If you or your son could point at the download, or roughly describe any of the terminal commands - we might have a stab at guessing what happened.

Vuze itself, like any torrent/sharing application is fine enough (although Vuze does make it too easy to install a crappy toolbar add-on, which you really don't want)

Like any of them, or downloads from any source you've no reason to trust... handing over an admin password or running Terminal commands that aren't understood or trusted - is where you can come unstuck, through either malice or ignorance, or just user mis-typing.

There's a free trial of photoshop for most current versions at Adobe's site, I believe.

Wish I hadn't!! Tried download from Vuze (eeekkk!) In a mess now!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.