Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch to TenFourFox

I have been using TenFourFox for awhile now, am officially switching to it as my default browser. Even as a non-techie, I think 10.4Fox is faster, more stable than FF3.6.14. Also, there are new extensions for 10.4Fox. Since the settings + profiles for 10.4Fox rely completely on the FF3 configuration, the following is my Q+A with a developer on the 10.4Fox blog:

Q: I am a fairly new Mac user, not of the computer generation, not very tech savvy, but enjoying TenFourFox very much (please make your reply easy to follow). I am now running 4.0b13pre but also have Firefox 3.6.14 on my iMac G4 running Tiger 10.4.11. I notice, after installing 10.4fox that it took all the settings from my FF3 profile, set them up in 10.4fox. Must I continue to keep FF3 on my computer as the settings repository for 10.4fox or can I uninstall FF3. I can't seem to locate a similar, complete profile for 10.4fox, can't seem to even locate the 10.4fox install location. I am quite willing to leave FF3 on my iMac if that means a smooth running 10.4fox. Thanks. Ken.

A: You can remove Fx3 safely, yes (simply drag it to the Trash). This will not disturb your settings, which are normally in your Library folder.

Q: Thanks. Are you suggesting just to move the FF3 icon from the Applications folder to the Trash but leaving the Firefox folder in User/Library/Application Support, as is, where it is, because that's where 10.4fox gets my settings, profile from? Ken.

A: Exactly.

Q: Thanks. Just a further point. Might it be wise to leave the FF3 install icon in the Applications folder just in case 10.4fox crashes, cannot repair it, so at least I have FF3 as a backup. Ken.

A: In general that will work; however, if you were going to do that, I would use 3.6 as your fallback instead since it is more current and if you can run 3.0 or 3.5, you can also run 3.6. Also, there is no guarantee that the format of your profile won't change; it is likely that 3.6 will tolerate this better than an earlier unsupported version.

On my iBook I keep 3.5, 3.6 and TenFourFox, and if I need to check something in an older browser it's easy enough to switch at will.

Q: Thanks. As I was mentioning in my first note, my settings, profile are from FF3.6.14, which I was using prior to 10.4fox. So, as per your suggestion, I will continue to retain the FF3.6.14 icon in my Applications folder, "JUST IN CASE". Ken.

So this is the way to use 10.4Fox but retain FF3 as a backup. Check the tenfourfox.com website for a complete explanation of the benefits of this new browser. Choose your version carefully so it matches your particular Mac. Just want to let the group know about this. Ken.

iMac G4/800, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 768 megs of ram, dsl internet

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 5:38 PM

1 reply

Switch to TenFourFox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.