Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio / Vibrate customization

Just got my iphone4 for Verizon. I'm having trouble getting the hang of adjusting volumes and vibrating for different events and I was wondering if there's some sort of simple tutorial or something about this.

Basically I want all the sounds (ringtone, push alerts, etc) activated during the day, but at night I would like to silence the notifications while still leaving the ringer activated. I can't seem to be able to do this without putting it on vibrate, which doesn't help when I get a push in the middle of the night and the vibrating phone wakes me up. I could go into Settings every night and every morning and change options, but I'm sure there's an easier way. Anybody?

iphone 4 (Verizon), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 7:24 AM

11 replies

Mar 5, 2011 7:13 PM in response to Rob Lichter

Sadly, no. The switch on the side near the volume buttons acts as a switch to turn off all sound and activate vibrate. You can turn off vibrate in Silent mode in settings so no sound or vibration comes out at all. I don't know how to just leave the ringer on though.

But, if you have the ringer on, wouldn't you still wake up from a call or a text?

Mar 11, 2011 10:56 PM in response to HuskieN

@Rob-
I have the same exact problem... coming from a blackberry.. you could silence everything and still keep the ringer on.... there has to be an easier way on the iphone instead of changing the settings morning and nite.
@HuskerN
Yes... if the ringer was on... it would wake me up if I got a call.. that the point.. I am a nurse and there fore on call all nite.. I have to be able to have the phone call ring... however.. I don't need to hear every other notification from email, text, facebook, apps, etc.. chiming or vibrating all nite waking me up if it isn't an emergency.. but I do have to leave the ringer on for emergencies.

Mar 13, 2011 11:52 AM in response to shelrn

Rob and Shelrn,

I have that same issue, and was told by the Apple store rep that there is no such customizable settings on the iPhone. I also came from a Blackberry background where you could create all different kinds of custom settings, and different volumes and tones for them independently. This seems like a huge gap in the "user friendly" category for the iPhone.

I spoke on the phone with an with an Apple rep, (about a different issue I was having),and explained the above siutation which you addressed. He thought it was a great idea, and suggested that I post it on the Apple feedback forum. He said that many Apple developers read it, and that is frequently the way lots of ideas get implemented. Maybe we should all find that forum and post!

Not being able to customize settings for just what you mentioned seems a bit outdated and behind the times. I too wanted my phone to be able to just ring, and not text and email alert me while sleeping. For the first few days I unchecked everything, and then spent 5 minutes re-checking everything the next day. That didn't last long! What a hassle that was. I now leave the email alert off, and just leave the text and phone ringer on.

As far as I am concerned the email alert is useless. My Blackberry alerted me IMMEDIATELY when I received an email. It would alert me simultaneously as I received it on my computer if I were sitting here, or sometimes even before. Now the closest setting I can set on the iPhone is every 15 minutes. 4 times an hour?? Really?? And no, it did not run the battery down on the BB.

But there are other great things about the iPhone, like the Safari browser. The Blackberry was very cumbersome for the internet, and extremely slow. And texting for me is much easier on the iPhone. So it's a trade off! lol

<Edited by Host>

Apr 10, 2011 11:25 PM in response to hotrodchic

wow, i feel like you are my twin separated at birth. Every sentence you wrote, I could have written myself. I just switched from my Tour to the iPhone today. Internet, pop up notifications, no sucky trackball are all advantages of the iphone. But I did like all the sound profiles I could have on my bb. Phone only is a setting that phones had 10 years ago. Not only is it useful for night time, but also if I was in a social setting and i didnt want my phone beeping every 5 min from text/bbm/email, but i did want it to ring if i got a call.

Maybe there's some app for this??

And the email issue you spoke of was the cause of my 30 min convo with an Apple employee on the phone this evening. I was used to my bb getting the email BEFORE it appeared on my gmail on the computer. Now it comes to my iphone 8-10 min after my computer. Oh well, I guess if I'm expecting an email I can go into Mail and have it automaticall refresh.

Jan 11, 2012 6:32 PM in response to Rob Lichter

Ditto to the comments. I too come from a Blackberry background and switched to an iPhone. Folks at Apple, this is very simple. First, we like to sleep and it would be nice to silence ALL ringers and alerts with the exception of two: The ringer for emergency phone calls and a wake-up alarm for the next morning. Blackberry has this figured this out.

Feb 29, 2012 10:41 PM in response to Rob Lichter

I thought the iphone 3gs already had a quiet mode until I got woken up at 6am this morning with a "These are todays free apps" notification !.

I cant believe that very clever people have designed this phone to do amazing things yet no-one thought "What happens if the customer wants to sleep at night and only get woken up if the phone rings !... Very very Strange.

As its all software driven it cant be too difficult to program it in surely !!

Audio / Vibrate customization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.