Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when attempting to use iPhone to access university student portal

When attempting to use my iPhone or iPad to access the ashford university student portal I am receiving the below error. The univeristy states I am using an unsupported device, but I have used it successfully with both devices for over a year. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to get around it or a solution I can provide the university?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
<configuration>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
<configuration>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</configuration>

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 12:08 PM

15 replies

Mar 29, 2011 3:12 PM in response to iPaduser1967

iPaduser1967-
Thanks for your response and I am working with Ashford to resolve these issues, so your input/workaround would be appreciated.

• When was the last time you were able to successfully enter and post in a classroom discussion on either device?
• What version of iPhone and iPad hardware/software are you using?
• Are you getting this same error? If you are not, please share how you have gotten around the error.

Whenever, I attempt to logon using either device, I am being prompted on how I would like my 1098-t reporting to be done, when I make a selection the main page is brought up, but when I choose my classroom, I receive the scripting error.

Mar 30, 2011 11:01 PM in response to universitystudent

Hello,

I too am an Ashford University student, and I have received the same error. However, I have found a couple workarounds that allow me to do pretty much everything except view my degree progress (for that I use Chrome on my iMac).

****CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF DATA ****

First, back up your iPad in iTunes (if you do not know how to do this, then do not proceed until you do). Second, quit Safari (double-tap the home button so that the multi-task bar appears at the bottom of the screen, then swipe until you see Safari, then press and hold the Safari icon until the 'X' appears, finally press the 'X' to quit the App) Third, make sure Safari is configured as follows:

Settings > Safari >
Java Script "ENABLED"
Block Popups "OFF"
Accept Cookies "ALWAYS"

Reset Safari:

Settings > Safari >
Clear History
Clear Cookies
Clear Cache

Restart your iPad by holding the Home and Sleep buttons until the Apple Logo appears (immediately let go of both buttons or else you will put your iPad into recovery mode). Accessing the Ashford Student portal should now work.

Jun 6, 2011 6:09 PM in response to stefaniefrombloomfield hills

Hi Stephanie,

I wanted to let you know that I am actively working with Ashford IT on the iPad issue as of right now there is not a system wide solution for the iPad or iPhone, but they are working on it.

I did mention the issue you are reported with your MAC book pro, Ashford IT requested that if you are still having this issue that you please open a ticket with them and please provide replication steps and system configuration. I am sorry to say that I was able to log in using a Mac book, but I may be on a different release of Safari? I will post a resolution to the iPad/iPhone issue once one has been fully tested.

Jun 19, 2011 12:58 AM in response to universitystudent

I am so sorry for the very late reply!! I checked for replies for a few days, but have been busy with a recent career change. At the time, I had just updated my iPad to the latest version. Even still, you could try to use other browsers, such as Opera or PerfectBrowser. Ashford has simply done something that does not agree with Apple's OS (whether OS X or iOS) browsers. Like I said, though, Google Chrome for the Mac is completely solid.

Jun 19, 2011 1:11 AM in response to stefaniefrombloomfield hills

Stephanie, first make sure that you have all the latest software updates (Click the Apple Logo in the upper most left corner of the display) and select "Software Update..." After they are done, open Safari and, in the upper left corner of the display (where it says 'Safari'), click Safari and then select "Reset Safari..." The most sure-fire way to resolve the error is to have everything selected, but keep in mind that you stand the chance of deleting history, top sites, cache, cookies, and names and passwords for autofill. However, you should no longer get that pesky error. If you want to simply enjoy an error-free Ashford experience, use Google's Chrome browser. It is the only one that has consistently worked for me for over a year. Please let me know if you need any further help!

Error when attempting to use iPhone to access university student portal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.