Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD2

IPAD2 looks brilliant but the way I read the Tech Spec Apple have only put GPS in the WI-FI +3G versions not wifi only> Do you guys read it the same?

Dell, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 1:12 PM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2011 1:35 AM in response to Banak

Yes I read the same from the tech spec of the IPAD2. Its not even full GPS and only on the Wifi+3G model. The tech spec states it is "assisted GPS" meaning its relies on the 3G cells partially for positioning. Too bad if your away from the mobile cell towers. Also if you want GPS your locked into AT&T or Verizon. i.e SIM locked to these providers. Apple state in their notes the AT&T and Verizon versions cannot be interchanged on these networks. I suspect this is a GSM verses CDMA issue. I suspect you cannot travel and use your IPAD2 Wifi +3G AT&T on other GSM networks around the world which means the GPS is limited too.

Mar 4, 2011 7:36 AM in response to cp351

The iPad 1 isn't carrier-locked (except I believe in Japan) and there is no indication that the iPad 2 is SIM-locked either. The iPad 1 cannot be changed from AT&T to Verizon and vice-versa because those networks use totally different technologies, not because the iPad is locked to either carrier. Any US iPad can be used on any GSM network using the supported frequencies, assuming of course that the carrier offers a suitable data plan.

In any case, GPS doesn't depend on the carrier. GPS works just fine even if your iPad 3G isn't connected to a carrier at all; mine isn't and the GPS works just fine. It just doesn't geolocate quite as quickly as it would if it were connected to a carrier.

IPAD2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.