Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much RAM does the iPad2 have?

I looked at the tech specs and other documentation I could find, however I don't see anything that states the amount of RAM the iPad2 will have. There didn't seem to be any mention of that in the Apple presentation either. Does anyone know where I could find this information?

Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 1st Gen iPod Touch (IOS 3.1.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 2:48 PM

33 replies

Mar 3, 2011 5:05 AM in response to Aepple

RAM is not irrelevant.

If you had used an iPad at all you could not have failed to notice how Safari frequently needs to re-load web-pages when switching between them, as they are unloaded when the iPad runs short of RAM.

This is particularly annoying when using forums for instance, as you start writing a reply, switch to another page to copy some info, switch back and the forum page has to reload losing what you had already typed.

Also, on long image heavy web-pages, you must've noticed the big blank areas where the iPad has had to unload previously viewed parts of a web-page when scrolling.

Also, when using the multi-tasking feature of iOS, when the iPad runs short of RAM apps are dumped from memory meaning they are not as quick to re-load when you switch back to them.

More RAM would help alleviate all of these issues.

The relatively small amount of RAM and frequent web page reloading would be my only complaint about the first iPad.

Mar 3, 2011 5:14 AM in response to Julian Wright

Ram is irrelevant because the ipad does not replace the laptop, it would be nice to have it all, more ram, retina display, but then you start getting into heavier and thicker tablet, and a price near 1000 dollars.

i held the motorola tablet, its heavy with a price of 800 dollars wifi model. the ipad is a addition to a computer, and for 500 dollars its a good deal.

i agree for 500 dollars, give me the ipad 2 exactly the way it is... with double the ram and retina display.

Mar 3, 2011 5:19 AM in response to baforer

Within a few days of new units arriving, there will sure to be one or more web sites that post the complete tear down of one and you will then get all the specs, including ones Apple never officially releases. There are web sites that have deconstructed just about every Apple device ever created - while I often shake my head at the thought of buying something just to tear it down to its components, they are interesting reads nonetheless.

How much RAM does the iPad2 have?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.