Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme / USB Disk - please help!

I have an Airport Extreme which is connected to my PC running Vista, and provides wireless access to my iMac.

Recently bought a new 2TB external hard drive. Partitioned it 3 ways - one partition was set up as HFS+ to back up my Mac using Time Machine, the other two partitions were set up as FAT32 to back up the PC and provide additional storage that would be accessible to both.

After formatting, connected to the Airport extreme, and was able to see all 3 partitions of the drive listed. Set it up to enable file sharing secured with accounts. Was able to get the Mac to connect to the drive and run Time Machine flawlessly over wireless. However, whenever I access the other disks through the PC, it is intolerably slow, with most attempts to move files onto the disk failing or timing out. Not sure what might be wrong - tried turning off Windows Firewall, but that doesn't help. Tried all different disk security settings too. Really want to be able to use this disk on both the PC and the MAC without having to disconnect from my network and hook it up directly. can anyone offer some advice or suggestions as to how I can get Windows to play nice with the disk connected to Airport?

Mac / Windows, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Windows Vista (64 bit)

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 5:45 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2011 10:10 PM in response to FundRopher

FundRopher wrote:
. .
one partition was set up as HFS+ to back up my Mac using Time Machine

I hate to have to tell you this, but backing-up that way is "iffy" and +*not supported by Apple.+* See [Using Time Machine with an Airport Extreme Air Disk|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Airport.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

This forum, and the Time Machine forums, have many, many posts about it working for some number of days, weeks, or even months, then the backups suddenly turn up corrupted, often beyond repair.

Apr 9, 2011 3:07 PM in response to FundRopher

FundRopher, you should not be able to get FAT32 & HFS+ formatted HDD to work with it.
Either or the other. For windows you have to have FAT32 to b.u.
I had the same idea long ago cannot recall where I red this but this is it. USB hub 2nd HDD.
I used FAT32 formatted HDD via internet to access the AE's AirDisk, could drop&read files nicely in Win XP Pro SP3 and from Mac, as well vice versa.
Currently I have 2 partitions of Mac OS X Journaled 3.5"-1TB Wd HDD, one for TM, other for media,
infos. Can Access it from local and internet without problem.
I hope this helps somehow...

Airport Extreme / USB Disk - please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.