Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off HDMI audio output?

Hi all.

I have my ATV (current gen) hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and hooked up to my home theater system via optical audio cable. The problem is now, sound is being output on both the TV and the home theater system. I can turn the volume on my TV to off, which is a workaround, but it's a bit kludgy. Is there a way to turn off the Apple TV's HDMI audio output or otherwise tell it to just output the video and not audio over HDMI?

Apple TV (current gen), iOS 4

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 10:50 PM

No.
7 replies

Mar 2, 2011 11:07 PM in response to Jedidiah Sorokin-Altmann

Most digital TVs have independent audio settings for each input, so if you have the TV's audio volume turned all the way down for the ATV's input it shouldn't affect the audio settings for the other inputs.

You might also consider connecting your TV's optical audio output to your home theater system instead if your TV has an option to pass HDMI audio through to its optical audio output.

Mar 4, 2011 6:44 AM in response to Jedidiah Sorokin-Altmann

I'm not sure it is all that silly.

If you have a home theatre system, surely you'd have the TV speakers permanently off and the TV's audio output played through your system for content that doesn't arrive through a box of some kind (ie from an RF source for example). That way when you switched your home theatre to play audio from the Apple TV (optical), the audio from HDMI wouldn't play anyway.

Mar 4, 2011 10:10 AM in response to Jedidiah Sorokin-Altmann

Jedidiah Sorokin-Altmann wrote:
I think it's silly that I can't change the audio output, but I appreciate the help.

I'm actually glad that all outputs work simultaneously - something like a PS3 where you have to choose between optical or HDMI can be a real pain if sometimes you just want TV speaker audio (HDMI in my case) and other times you want the full surround experience (optical to hi-fi).

I'd have no qualms about allowing disabling individual outputs but having them active over more than one is better than constantly having to fiddle in Settings menus each time you want the audio from a different device.

AC

Turn off HDMI audio output?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.