Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 8:30 PM by jkatman
markmc78 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
For months, my internal 1TB had been partitioned 750GB/250GB OS X 10.6/Windows 7, with no problems - I want to use Windows, I either reboot and hold Alt, then choose Windows when the menu comes up, or I go System Preferences > Startup Disk and change it to "Boot Camp".

A few days ago I shrank the 10.6 partition by 200GB using Disk Utility, then formatted the space as Mac OS Extended and installed the preview of OS X 10.7 Lion (I was invited to try it via the AppleSeed programme).

Since then, the only options I have in System Prefs > Startup Disk or when holding Alt during boot are 10.6 and 10.7 - Boot Camp seems to have vanished as a choice. If I open Disk Utility, Boot Camp is still there, still 250GB. If I browse the Boot Camp partition in OS X I can see all my Windows files, etc, it just seems to be gone as a bootable option

Help!

MacBook Pro (Mid-2010) Intel i5, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Mac Mini (Early 2009), MacBook (Early 2009), iPhone 4, iPad 64GB WiFi only
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (60,050 points)
    Well, you changed the partition tables, you changed the partition ID of where Windows is or was. None of which is supported, and now you have more partitions so that Windows is no longer in one of the first 4. GPT, EFI, two HFS.

I don't know how to edit the tables or if that will be successful.

Had you put Lion on its own drive, or make the internal Lion + Windows. And often the case a new OS version you should also format the drive with the OS before loading, even if it lets you update. 10.6 changed partition tables and expanded the GUID and 10.6.6 made more changes. Moving target.

Remove 10.7 and see if you can get it to work.

This is one scenerio, testing a new OS, where running either the old OS (10.6) or the new one (10.7) as VMs as virtual hard drives would be nice.

You might want to consider using Windows in a VM also, then you might have use of all three, or move things around with a 2nd hard drive (VMs can reside anywhere and used just not boot Windows directly).
  • markmc78 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Ok, deleted the Lion partition and expanded my original OS X partition back to it's old size. Rebooted, and when I look in Disk Utility my Boot Camp partition is listed as "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" and it also says "this partition cannot be modified".

Before I removed Lion, I booted into it, and noticed that System Pref > Startup Disk still showed "Boot Camp". I selected it, restarted, and got white text on a black screen saying "No bootable disk inserted".

I've also disabled Tuxera NTFS but that hasn't helped
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (60,050 points)
    I would have booted from another hard drive to run OS X and Disk Utility Repair Disk.

Then I would have booted Windows 7 DVD to do any system repair it thought needed.

I don't know what Lion did, I skipped that invitation.

If you do need NTFS driver, I suggest Paragon, seems to be more reliable.

Windows on Mac has a number of limitations. Yes, people have managed triple boot with linux like Ubuntu but not with two Windows or two Mac OS systems. Having one internal hard drive is too stifling. Maybe with two SSDs you could.
  • Asher ben Levi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi there, I was just wondering if you found a solution to your problem. I did exactly the same as you did with the same result. My Bootcamp is still on the desktop and shows as accessible drive. I can start it through Paralells fine just when I try to boot up on it via Option key it does not show up. I had that happen right after I installed 10.7 Lion. I uninstalled it and still it is a no-show. Does anyone has a solution for that?
    Thanks in advance
  • Mike Boreham Level 4 Level 4 (2,095 points)
    I have done exactly same thing in the past, and not found a way back. Had to start all over.

However there is a prog called rfedit which might help, but I have no knowledge or experience of it.

For future reference iPartition enables many more on the fly partitioning and repartitioning options without messing up the Bootcamp partition, which Disk Utility always does

Message was edited by: Mike Boreham
  • Mike Boreham Level 4 Level 4 (2,095 points)
    I meant to say, relative to the OP objectives, that I recently used iPartition successfully to add two extra partitions to my MBP (which already had OSX and Bootcamp). One of the extra partitions is another bootable OSX volume, and the other is data.

All done without messing the Windows boot ability.
  • Bobby Lindsey Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

Just as a note, I used iPartition to create a new partition on the disk I had bootcamp on and it did the same thing the OP and others have described. Bootcamp is no longer showing when the option key is pressed during boot but does show in System Preferences.

• Rizwan1111 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

just installed LION OS X on my dual partioned mac book pro.

Cannot go back in to Windows 7 anymore, also it shows my Windows partion as FAT 32 not NTFS ( I thought under leopard it partioned it as NTFS.

anyway

Now I cannot get back in to wondows on my macbook.  Spent an hour with apple, they have no clue.

any idea ?

• Bobby Lindsey Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

You can use rEFIt. It will search for any bootable drives on your system. It's not an Apple product but it works. http://refit.sourceforge.net/

• Rizwan1111 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:

#      Start LBA      End LBA  Type

1             40       409639  EFI System (FAT)

2         409640    425185495  Mac OS X HFS+

3      425185496    426455039  Mac OS X Boot

4      426455040   1465147391  Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:

# A    Start LBA      End LBA  Type

1              1       409639  ee  EFI Protective

2         409640    425185495  af  Mac OS X HFS+

3      425185496    426455039  ab  Mac OS X Boot

4      426455040   1465147391  0c  FAT32 (LBA)

MBR contents:

Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 40:

Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)

File System: FAT32

Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:

Boot Code: None

File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)

Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+

Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af  Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 425185496:

Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Mac OS X Boot

Listed in MBR as partition 3, type ab  Mac OS X Boot

Partition at LBA 426455040:

File System: Unknown

Listed in GPT as partition 4, type Basic Data

Listed in MBR as partition 4, type 0c  FAT32 (LBA)

ok someone translate this in to english for me ? My windows partition is greyed out, computer wont boot in windows. MAC partition works fine.....

• kevincol Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

rEFIt doesn't seem to work on Lion...

• kevincol Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem...  Can do WinClone, not supported on Lion, to get an image backup of W7 partition.  At this point, since I can get to all the data on that partition, I would be more than happy to do an image backup of it, reinstall Windows 7 to get the boot partition to work, then reimage back to that original W7 partition so that I wouldn't have to reinstall and reconfigure all my applications.

My data is:

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:

#      Start LBA      End LBA  Type

1             40       409639  EFI System (FAT)

2         409640    253309143  Mac OS X HFS+

3      253309144    254578687  Mac OS X Boot

4      254578688    977104895  Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:

# A    Start LBA      End LBA  Type

1              1       409639  ee  EFI Protective

2         409640    253309143  af  Mac OS X HFS+

3      253309144    254578687  ab  Mac OS X Boot

4      254578688    977104895  07  NTFS/HPFS

MBR contents:

Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 40:

Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)

File System: FAT32

Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:

Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+

Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af  Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 253309144:

Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Mac OS X Boot

Listed in MBR as partition 3, type ab  Mac OS X Boot

Partition at LBA 254578688:

Boot Code: Windows BOOTMGR (Vista)