Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime Without Sim or Network?

Hello all,

I was wondering if you can help me out. My gf is leaving the country soon, but I want her to keep her iPhone 4 with her so we can still chat and keep in touch. I was wondering is someone can answer the following questions for me and possibly others.

1) is there a way for facetime to work without the sim card and/or without a network?
2) what happens if I cancel my contract with the network?
3) can i use skype and is that the best way?
4) does skype need a network or only wi-fi?

Your response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Message was edited by: lsuk

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 9:32 AM

1) is there a way for facetime to work without the sim card and/or without a network?

Yes. FaceTime works via an available wi-fi network only.

The iPhone's phone number is registered with the FaceTime server, so you need a phone number but having a connection with the carrier is not required to do a FaceTime call, but an active phone number is.

Skype can be used.

I believe Skype is supported via the cellular network - when connected to a 3G network with a particular carrier.

You can test this now. Turn on Airplane mode with your GF's iPhone followed by turning on wi-fi access. All other iPhone radios will be disabled except for wi-fi. When the iPhone is connected to an available wi-fi network, do a FaceTime call. This should work and if so, the same should apply anywhere else, but the iPhone needs a valid/active cell phone number registered with the FaceTime server.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2011 9:32 AM in response to lsuk

Yes. FaceTime works via an available wi-fi network only.

The iPhone's phone number is registered with the FaceTime server, so you need a phone number but having a connection with the carrier is not required to do a FaceTime call, but an active phone number is.

Skype can be used.

I believe Skype is supported via the cellular network - when connected to a 3G network with a particular carrier.

You can test this now. Turn on Airplane mode with your GF's iPhone followed by turning on wi-fi access. All other iPhone radios will be disabled except for wi-fi. When the iPhone is connected to an available wi-fi network, do a FaceTime call. This should work and if so, the same should apply anywhere else, but the iPhone needs a valid/active cell phone number registered with the FaceTime server.

May 2, 2013 6:49 AM in response to minasourial

Thought I'd update this and point out that it is now entirely possible to Facetime by email address on ALL devices.

Sometimes it takes a software update to enable all features. It doesn't always mean Apple is being greedy by stopping anyone from doing it.

Of course, if you haven't actually been able to figure out how to add alternative 'addresses' for Facetiming, well, again, hardly Apple's fault.

Mar 3, 2011 6:50 PM in response to lsuk

Facetime works BUT u need a SIM in the phone even if it's not active on a network. I just tried this.

I used skype 3G to 3G about 1hr ago. THe other person was in a moving car.
It worked BUT not nearly as well as facetime. The video/audio were not in sync. Funny enough the video would freeze up then every minute or so would do like a FAST FORWARD and zoom through everything I missed like i was fast forwarding a DVD or video tape. Odd. IT was interesting but not as engaging as facetime.

Then again IM STILL without facetime working on tmobile USA. Wont activate.

Been looking at options. Perhaps android. Hoping apple fixes it as our company wants to std on video conf platform. Facetime working on ipads and macbooks as well as iphones was looking VERY attractive.
Apple needs to just attach it to email addresses. Especially since these do NOT change when u travel from country to country and buy cheap prepaid SIMs when u land (ie Europe, Asia etc)

Facetime Without Sim or Network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.