Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open in

Hello friends, how I can change or add to the list of "Open In" an application not listed?, and what is the limit of the list "Open In", thanks in advance.

iPad, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 10:13 AM

6 replies

Mar 23, 2011 6:14 AM in response to laborja

This is the response concerning the "open in" dialog I've got from Readdle Software:

" ... Apple has a special restriction. Please be ensured that there are no more than 10 applications in the list. So, taking into attention that Apple has a restriction to use Open In only in 10 applications, I can suggest you do to the following. You should keep the most needed applications in your "Open In" list. They are sorted by date. This means that you will be able to use only the first 10 applications installed. Maybe one of them is not vital for Open In function. So, you can delete it and then reinstall. It will lead that the new application will appear in Open In list. It is the only way to follow because Apple doesn't give a possibility to select which applications are candidates for Open In."
It might be helpful if many user contact apple-feedback requesting an enhancement of the "open in" dialog either by adding a system-preferences dialog, allowing to configure the list of "open in" Apps or allow an unlimited list.
Cheers,
Robert

Mar 16, 2012 8:11 AM in response to laborja

I posted something similar and tested this out on my iphone.

deleted ibooks app

This expanded my "open in" apps list to greater than 10 apps ... I think it includes all the apps that can possibly open pdfs now.

Inconvenient that ibooks has to be deleted to do this but its better than deleting several other paid apps randomly until the app you want appears in the list.

i am wonderin if this will work the same on the ipad.

Jul 31, 2012 9:07 AM in response to laborja

Hi,

Experienced the exact same issue on my iPad today. After installing more relevant apps that could open supported documents "open in" from e.g. Mail app, the first apps no longer showed on the "open in" list.

Seems uninstalling/reinstalling the last or first (not showing) installed app does not work. The first app somehow still figures as a first installment and will be hidden, until you uninstall some of the latest installed apps, that will feature on the "open in" list.

The only and best solution as I see it is to make the available "open in" list longer/unlimited. This seems to be an Apple issue to be solved.

Kind regards,

Martin Josefsen

Feb 4, 2013 8:19 AM in response to laborja

Today is 2/4/2013 and this problem still exists. I had 11 PDF annotation apps installed on my iPad. I wanted to use one in particular through an Open In dialog and it wouldn't show up until I delete 3 of the apps from my iPad. I paid money for those apps, but their existence on my iPad meant I couldn't access the one I wanted.

This needs to be fixed. I sent in an iPad feedback request. I am bummed this still exists in iOS 6.1!

Open in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.