Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Linux extended nodes to Qmaster from Ubuntu machines

I realize this is both a complicated question and for some might be seen as a really easy question. I'm hoping for more the latter!

I have a Mac Mini hooked up to a network switch and I plug in my MacBook to set up a very basic cluster through Qmaster. It's the only way i can get jobs done in Compressor, neither of these machines have the specs suggested to really run Final Cut Studio at all, but this is a church and we just appreciate what we have.

In that same spirit, we have an old Dell PowerEdge 700 server I put Ubuntu Studio on running at 256 megs ram and about 2.8 Ghz. A Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop at 1.8 GHZ with 512 ram, and 4 Dell Optiplex with 256 RAM at 1GHZ. All old equipment I realize, but from what I've read it sounds like one can use these in Apple Qmaster as long as they are Unix based. So I've been installing Ubuntu on them (I'm a Linux newbie and the other distros are a pain to install on these machines.)

From what I understand, you put a UNIX system (like Ubuntu) on these, setup something like OpenSSH, and of course I have them plugged into the network switch with my macs.

The macs see each other and can create a cluster.
I setup a Linux box and it could see the mac through the terminal.
But the mac doesn't see the Linux box through terminal.
(Of course I'm new to terminal too.)

I opened up everything on the system preferences side for the mac for sharing services, no firewall setup, ect. I have a feeling there are a multitude of SSH things I have to set up on mac and linux that I just am unaware of.

I go to system preferences _ qmaster _ and try to set up extended nodes with the Mac Mini as an intermediary node (before anyone posts it, yes I've studied the Qmaster manual laboriously.) Where you type in hostname, username, and password, I've been typing in "ubuntustudio" as my hostname because that's what I set it up as when installing. I also set that as username. But every example I see posted lists the username with something like a domain name after it. I think maybe I'm not typing the hostname correctly or something, but I can't find any documentation on naming conventions for something like this.

Sorry if I sound like a newbie, on some of this I am. But our pc techs don't cover the linux machines under our contract, I'm sure Apple would charge me a ton if they were willing to help with this at all, and every support article I have found vaguely mentions that you CAN use SSH to add non-macs to the cluster, but just takes it as a given that you'll know exactly how to input the hostname and that it will work and all your setting will be perfect.

I just think with 6 machines running over 1ghz, collectively they could be a descent set of nodes and it just seems best practice to repurpose old equipment to death before buying new.

Thanks for your time

2 Macs >2Ghz Core 2; 6 Ubuntu > 1Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Trying to add non macs to a cluster over SSH

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 12:48 PM

I've tried this years ago, on earlier versions of the software. I ended up just plugging in the ip address as the host name. I think it worked. I'm about to try this again on my new set up with the more current versions of the software.....let us know if you find a solution that works....I'd be very interested in hearing.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2011 12:48 PM in response to rtraviscrocker

I've tried this years ago, on earlier versions of the software. I ended up just plugging in the ip address as the host name. I think it worked. I'm about to try this again on my new set up with the more current versions of the software.....let us know if you find a solution that works....I'd be very interested in hearing.

Mar 13, 2011 11:12 AM in response to toddsmith7378

Thanks so much for your response!
I tried just typing in the ip addresses but to no avail. This was on an Airport Extreme and I'm going to try again on a network switch that has no internet connection. I'll post back here if it works. I don't think I have any firewall or anything that should be actively blocking on Ubuntu or Mac side but I wonder if there is something I should be unlocking that I haven't thought of.

If I have any success I'll let you know!

Oh this is latest version of Ubuntu Studio and Mac OSX btw.

Adding Linux extended nodes to Qmaster from Ubuntu machines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.