Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to deregister my iPad to sell it? How?

I am selling my iPad and buying a new one.

I registered my iPad last May. Do I need to deregister it so the buyer can register it and have it under his name? I will be giving him the original receipt from Future Shop and it has no personal info on it. Is there anything else I need to do so he won't have a problem registering it under his own name. He might want to buy Apple Care for the second year.

Or will his computer just recognize it and take it from there? I've never done this before. Thanks for any help.

Judie

20" Intel iMac August 2007, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 11:15 AM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2011 11:24 AM in response to JudieR

You should deauthorize it in iTunes. As for the purchase registration the new owner can register it if he/she wants. Doing so effectively transfers the registration. If the device is out of warranty, then there's no real need to register it. If it's out of warranty then the owner cannot buy the Extended AppleCare. That must be purchased before the normal one year warranty expires.

Mar 4, 2011 11:43 AM in response to JudieR

Be sure you remove all your personal information from the iPad's Settings. The best way to do this is to follow the instructions for returning the iPad to its original factory settings. This takes quite a while because essentially it's like doing a system Restore in iTunes except that the iPad is wiped clean then everything is restored exactly as if it were new out of the box. Any passwords or PINs you've installed will be completely gone.

Mar 4, 2011 12:28 PM in response to Kappy

I have restored to factory settings and everything. I just need to know how to deauthorize only my iPad. I have 5 computers authorized and I know what they are but I don't know how to just deauthorize the iPad when it's hooked up in iTunes cause it says "deauthorize computer". If I do that is it the iPad that's being deauthorized or my computer? I don't know how you tell.

Thanks.

Mar 4, 2011 12:45 PM in response to JudieR

Make sure that you back-up your iPad, with iTunes First! Also, Right click on your iPad Icon, in iTunes, and see if there is a Transfer Purchases there. I'm pretty sure there is... Then, on the iPad, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Now, when your new iPad 2 comes, hook it up to your computer, it will ask to sign in, and then ask, is this a new setup? Or, restore from backup? Click restore from backup.

I think thats it! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went when I got my iPhone 4, switching from iPhone 3G.

Good Luck!

Do I need to deregister my iPad to sell it? How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.